graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band » RRHOF Induction Ceremony
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
malco Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Vrinda wrote 'Allan reasons fopr leaving were very clear and did not lead to any discord between him and the rest of the Hollies'.

In 1978 after Allan left for the second time, The Hollies were finding some difficulty in securing a lead singer. Gary Brooker from Procol Harum was approached, but he was too busy with his pub. If Allan 's leaving did not cause any problems would they have not had someone lined up to take this position.
PostPosted:Sun May 02, 2010 11:26 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Quote:
benny-b-goode wrote:
Vrinda wrote:
malco wrote:
It does not really matter if Allan left to do solo work. The fact that he left twice would have caused some problems for the band for recordings and tours..

You mentioned that Allan left for his own purposes, and I explained why. Those things happen in bands. These are different people with different ideas working together, and there will come a time when someone gets tired and wants to move on. Allan was restless with the music the Hollies were going in the late sixties, and wanted to do something different. The rest of the band gave him the option of staying with them or leaving. He chose to leave, and they were fine with it and knew what they were getting into without having him around. Allan's leaving did not cause any problems the band did not expect.

When he left the second time, it was because of problems the band was causing: In this case, not listening to his ideas for the kind of music they should be doing. Allan got frustrated with trying to reinvent the wheel over and over, and decided to go off on his own again.

To Knut: Thank you. Very Happy

Allan was not satisfied with the direction The Hollies were going ??? I know that he was not too satisfied with the Nash-dominant "Butterfly" and in the late 70s with "A Crazy Steal", although I don't understand it because both albums are great.
But, anyway, that surprises me, because to my ears the sound of Allan's early solo work and The Hollies early 1970s albums don't sound too different.
Just listen to Allan's last Hollies album before leaving the first time "Distant Light" and compare it to the songs and sound of "'Arold" then you will hear many similarities. The gospel feeling of "What A Life I've Led" and the gospel-rock sound with a slow and atmospheric interlude you can find on "Distant Light"'s "You Know The Score", as well as on "'Arold"'s "Let Us Pray". The Hollies' "Romany" and Allan's "Headroom" don't sound too far apart for me, as well.
And if you take Allan's 1976 album "I've Got Time" it's a great album but it doesn't sound to me, as if he wanted to reinvent the wheel. And he recorded "Sanctuary" alone and with The Hollies. So where is the musical difference ?
I love Allan's solo work and The Hollies' albums, as well, but it doesn't sound like musical differences between him and the rest of the band. I always thought that his ambition to leave the band was inspired by Graham's success, as if he wanted to reach the same success. That's all!
But still I also don't know what was going on between Terry and the rest of the band in 1981. I have heard about quarrels going on during the sessions they had with Mike Batt but I'm not sure.

Allan's decision for leaving the first time was because of Graham's succes, but he said in an interview in the late seventies that his reason for leaving the second time was because he had different ideas on the type of music they should have been doing and how to manage the band, but no one was agreeing with him.

http://thehollies.proboards88.com
PostPosted:Tue May 25, 2010 17:38 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
butterflybye Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

Allan's solo albums were significant in their own right and if he hadn't left we might never have had the opportunity to hear them. I still think Allan was the voice of the Hollies and to me he is, always will be. Terry played his part very well, but screwed up at the awards, and I am sure that on reflection he knows that. I am glad to have been able to share the journey, thank you our Hollies.....
PostPosted:Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:19 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Page 5 of 5