graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Out On The Road » Nidd Hall, Harrogate
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dawn D Post subject: Nidd Hall, Harrogate
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I was at Nidd Hall the weekend to see The Hollies. Because of a ridiculously long eight and a half hour car journey (I could have got to America quicker!), my friend and I missed the welcoming party and a chance to reserve a table for the concert on Saturday. Anyway we got a couple of seats on the night at the back, next to the guy at a big control desk, doing the lights?? I went to the sales desk and introduced myself to Rob. Didn't buy anything as nothing new. At 9.45pm the Herb Alpert introductory music started and the Hollies came on stage! I wondered what the set list would be as I knew they wouldn't be on stage as long as a normal concert. They started unusually with I Can't Let Go and then carried on with the early hits, but I don't remember Just One Look or We're Through. I'm glad they included So Damn Beautiful and Weakness (which got good applause). Peter, Tony, Bobby and Ray did I'm Alive and Look thru any Window. Steve came to the front for King Midas. Tony, Ray, Steve and Bobby did Listen to Me / Hey Willy and Gasoline Alley Bred. A crowd favourite was Blowing in the Wind. Of course, we also got Bus Stop, Yes I Will, Sorry Suzanne, Jennifer Eccles and my favourite version of The Baby. Then, they started LCW and at last, Peter asked people onto the dance floor - we were there like a shot!
Next came the fantastic long Tony Hicks banjo intro for Stop, Stop, Stop. This really should be professionally recorded on film or CD for posterity!! This song is great for getting the crowd going - the dance floor was bouncing! I could see The Hollies doing this at some festival like Glastonbury, it would appeal to all ages. Next came Carrie Anne which got cheers and everyone singing along. Then came Air, great, then Heavy, great, and ending with Let Love Pass - fantastic! All in all an hour and a half of great entertainment. We stayed behind after for the disco and I saw Peter having photos taken. It was nice of him to take time with the fans. I was annoyed the batteries ran out on my camera!! I must also say how hard working the road crew were. We went back to our rooms a good two hours later and the lads were still packing away all the equipment from the stage!
PostPosted:Wed Jun 02, 2010 17:49 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Knut Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Thanks for the review, Dawn! It really is a nice place, my wife & I stopped by and had a look last year on our way to Grassington. Too expensive for my taste for a short show, though, so I'll go for Croydon & Crawley in the autumn instead.

Would you believe the Hollies had power to stay by evolution of their style from Buddy Holly ? That's for certain because they follow what goes around, write on and go out on the road. They did it then, they do it now - please do it always.
PostPosted:Wed Jun 02, 2010 19:18 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
SheLenka Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

Thanks for the review. My next dream is to be at a Hollies concert where people are allowed to dance!
PostPosted:Wed Jun 02, 2010 20:20 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Since I'm not familiar with any concert venues, can you tell me why the Hollies' show at this event was shorter than the usual concert?
PostPosted:Wed Jun 02, 2010 20:31 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dawn D Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Sorry for not explaining properly Spartyscott. Nidd Hall is a hotel, not a concert venue. The Hollies were just part of the evening's entertainment, that's why performance wasn't as long.
PostPosted:Thu Jun 03, 2010 18:24 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dawn D Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Knut wrote:
Thanks for the review, Dawn! It really is a nice place, my wife & I stopped by and had a look last year on our way to Grassington. Too expensive for my taste for a short show, though, so I'll go for Croydon & Crawley in the autumn instead.

Thanks Knut, the journey was too long due to traffic hold ups, which puts me off going there in the future, but I've got my ticket for Croydon, which should take me about 20 minutes at the most! Might see you there!
PostPosted:Sat Jun 05, 2010 17:17 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Out On The Road
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1