graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Elevated Observation » Solid Silver 60's Concert
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dawn D Post subject: Solid Silver 60's Concert
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Last night I went to the Fairfield Halls in Croydon - what a great night's entertainment. I've been to a few of these concerts in the past and this is the 25th anniversary. I particularly went to see the Swinging Blue Jeans as I heard Ray Ennis is retiring this year and the SBJs have always been my favourites at these 60's concerts and they didn't disappoint. Vanity Fare came on first (Hitching a Ride & Early in the Morning) and they were also the backing band for Brian Poole (Do You Love Me, Candy Man & Someone, Someone), Peter Sarstedt (Where do you go to my Lovely & Frozen Orange Juice) and Dave Berry (Memphis Tennessee, Little Things, Mama and Crying Game). Dave Berry certainly has a 'unique'stage act! VF also backed Mike Pender of the Searchers who did Needles & Pins, Sweets, Sugar & Spice, Don't throw your love away and When you walk in the Room. I've seen the A. McNally Searchers before, but I much preferred Mike Pender with Vanity Fare.
The highlight of the evening (with the SBJ) was The Troggs - wow they can certainly go some.. I've never seem them before, not even on the TV. Reg Presley was great. They did Any way you want me, With a girl like you, Love is All Around, I can't control myself and of course, Wild Thing. They also did another song I'm annoyed I can't remember the name, but it was a great 'rock' song, it wouldn't have been out of place in the early 70s. A very enjoyable evening.
PostPosted:Sat May 15, 2010 19:25 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dawn D Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I just remembered, Mike Pender also did Love Potion No. 9, which I believe was a hit in the US, not in the UK.
PostPosted:Sat May 15, 2010 19:29 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
John Truman Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hi Dawn

I've seen the Troggs a few times, as they were on the same bill as The Hollies in Antwerp or Hamburg a couple of years or so ago. The missing Troggs song you are looking for may have been 'Give it To Me' or 'Evil Woman'?

PostPosted:Sun May 16, 2010 18:37 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dawn D Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Many thanks for the information John, I'll see if I can find those songs on You Tube.
PostPosted:Sun May 16, 2010 21:55 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Terry Steer Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Hi Dawn,

You might be interested in this tonight.

Radio 2
20:00–22:00
The Radcliffe & Maconie Show
18/05/2010
The Troggs' Reg Presley chats about the new Greatest Hits album.

Terry
PostPosted:Tue May 18, 2010 9:52 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dawn D Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Thanks for the info Terry, I'll listen to it on BBC iplayer.

P.S. John - unfortunately those two songs you mentioned weren't the one. In fact, I remember now, Give it to Me was the first song they performed on the night. Now I know they are releasing a greatest hits CD, I shall buy that and it might have the mystery song!
PostPosted:Tue May 18, 2010 21:43 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Knut Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Here's a poster I photographed at the Solid Silver Sixties Tour in Southport the night after seeing the Hollies in Liverpool March 2010.

I too found the Mike Pender version brilliant, although I always enjoy McNally's Searchers enormously too. SBJ were really a joy - sad that they pack it up. We usually think that this will last forever, don't we?

Isn't it a bit strange that the Hollies appear on that compilation - they never play on those tours do they? The other strange thing is that Tom Jones is listed above the Hollies.

Would you believe the Hollies had power to stay by evolution of their style from Buddy Holly ? That's for certain because they follow what goes around, write on and go out on the road. They did it then, they do it now - please do it always.
PostPosted:Wed May 19, 2010 4:54 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Dawn D Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Knut, thanks for showing the poster. I didn't realise a CD had been released (I should have gone to the sales table) As you say, very strange that Tom Jones, Billy Fury and The Hollies should be included (I'm not going to complain about The Hollies!) With all the groups that have appeared in these 60s concerts, I would have thought there was more than enough material for the CD without having to include artists that weren't involved!
PS I heard the Reg Presley interview - what a great west country accent! You would never have thought he was the lead singer of The Troggs by the way he speaks!
PostPosted:Wed May 19, 2010 20:32 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
deliasmiff Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

I also went to the 25th Anniversary show and the highlight for me was Mike Pender and the Troggs. I have always liked the Searchers and feel that Mike Pender's voice is much better for Searchers songs than their current lead singer and he sings the old hits at the right speed but the other Searchers sing the songs at breakneck speed!

The SBJs were also very good and Ray Ennis will be missed when he retires. I wonder if the others will carry on without Ray! Peter Sarstedt was a surprise act for me and was also good but looked a little out of place I felt. Vanity Fare did a great job of backing the solo singers and were on the stage for much of the night!

I'm pleased they got to play the Royal Albert Hall during the tour and I have read some excellent write-ups from some of the concerts.

Great seeing the Hollies are touring later in the year - got my tickets already! Cool Very Happy

Dawn D (last post) Reg Presley has always had a very pronounced West Country accent because he's from Hampshire (is it Andover?) and I remember him in the 60s and he always sounded just like he does now!
PostPosted:Sun May 23, 2010 11:39 am
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Elevated Observation
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1