graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On » Suggestion for sweeping change to this website
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject: Suggestion for sweeping change to this website
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I was looking at the booklet that's in the big box set, and saw a photo of Ron Richards. I thought about all of his contributions to the band, and realized that there was barely a mention of his passing here.

It seems to me that Ron Richards' death should have been big news here on the Hollies' official website, with quotes from current and former band members, and it would have been quite proper to reach out to George Martin for his thoughts on Ron or even get quotes from other artists whom Ron Richards produced during his long, distinguished career.

At the Hall of Fame show, Terry Sylvester thanked the late Hollies manager Robin Britten. Standing behind Terry, Bernie Calvert nodded his head in agreement. Shouldn't Britten's contributions be listed SOMEWHERE on this official website? And as long as we're talking about key men behind the scenes of the group, surely much of the Hollies' success as a live act owed something to the efforts of tour manager Rod Shields. He should be honored, as well.

The Hollies have a more or less unbroken history that'll be fifty years in length in a couple of years (WOW!). I think that their website should celebrate all of the people who contributed to that longevity, and that includes managers, producers, agents, and anyone else who made things happen for the band, both on the road and in the studio.

In addition to honoring Richards, Britten, and Shields, having gracious full page bios/tributes for each of Allan Clarke, Graham Nash, Terry Sylvester, Bernie Calvert, Mike Rickfors, Eric Haydock, Carl Wayne, and even Don Rathbone and Alan Coates would be a great start. I'm not sure any other musicians would warrant this kind of tribute, but if any do it would perhaps be Steve Stroud and Denis Haines.

Yes, I know that this website exists to a great extent to promote the current band lineup and to help sell tickets for its shows. And there's nothing wrong with that. But I think that the site could also celebrate the rich history of the band. This isn't my website, and it's easy for me to make suggestions that others would have to work hard on to implement. But, since I've been a fan of the Hollies' music since I was 11 years old in 1971, I sort of think of the Hollies as "my" band. In that sense I, like many here, have a sense of ownership of the Hollies.

And I would dearly love to see the people who created that music that I still listen to today properly honored on the website of my favorite band.
PostPosted:Wed May 05, 2010 13:14 pm

Last edited by SpartyScott on Thu May 06, 2010 2:46 am; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject: Re: Suggestion for sweeping change to this website
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

SpartyScott wrote:
I was looking at the booklet that's in the big box set, and saw a photo of Ron Richards. I thought about all of his contributions to the band, and realized that there was barely a mention of his passing here.

It seems to me that Ron Richards' death should have been big news here on the Hollies' official website, with quotes from current and former band members, and it would have been quite proper to reach out to George Martin for his thoughts on Ron or even get quotes from other artists whom Ron Richards produced during his long, distinguished career.

At the Hall of Fame show, Terry Sylvester thanked the late Hollies manager Robin Britten. Standing behind Terry, Bernie Calvert nodded his head in agreement. Shouldn't Britten's contributions be listed SOMEWHERE on this official website? And as long as we're talking about key men behind the scenes of the group, surely much of the Hollies' success as a live act owed something to the efforts of tour manager Rod Shields. He should be honored, as well.

The Hollies have a more or less unbroken history that'll be fifty years in length in a couple of years (WOW!). I think that their website should celebrate all of the people who contributed to that longevity, and that includes managers, producers, agents, and anyone else who made things happen for the band, both on the road and in the studio.

In addition to honoring Richards, Britten, and Shields, having gracious full page bios/tributes for each of Allan Clarke, Graham Nash, Terry Sylvester, Bernie Calvert, Mike Rickfors, Eric Haydock, and even Don Rathbone and Alan Coates would be a great start. I'm not sure any other musicians would warrant this kind of tribute, but if any do it would perhaps be Steve Stroud and Denis Haines.

Yes, I know that this website exists to a great extent to promote the current band lineup and to help sell tickets for its shows. And there's nothing wrong with that. But I think that the site could also celebrate the rich history of the band. This isn't my website, and it's easy for me to make suggestions that others would have to work hard on to implement. But, since I've been a fan of the Hollies' music since I was 11 years old in 1971, I sort of think of the Hollies as "my" band. In that sense I, like many here, have a sense of ownership of the Hollies.

And I would dearly love to see the people who created that music that I still listen to today properly honored on the website of my favorite band.

I couldn't agree more SpartyScott. There is no question that this website could use a "new coat of paint". The richness of the Hollies career has been well represented by those you've named and to celebrate them in some way, would be the least we could do. Besides, many visitors to this site might be interested in learning more about how the Hollies got where they are today and who the key players were that helped get them here. You've definitely got my vote for a tribute section. Now, I'd be interested in reading how other website members/music fans feel.
PostPosted:Wed May 05, 2010 16:13 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
loenen16 Post subject: subject: Suggestion for sweeping change to this website
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

include me as a long time Hollies fan at the suggestion .

Think the word has to go to Rob now ?

Bernard
PostPosted:Thu May 06, 2010 19:21 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1