The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band » RRHOF Induction Ceremony
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
John Truman Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Thanks from me too, Vrinda.

It was great seeing all those induction clips.

PostPosted:Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:28 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
mervynwhite Post subject:

Knut wrote:
I was impressed by Graham in the Royal Albert Hall last year, and his newer records are just great!

Yes Knut. I saw CSN in Manchester last July. Graham's vocals remained polished and intact. Stephen Stills struggled badly.
PostPosted:Thu Mar 25, 2010 14:48 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

mervynwhite wrote:
Knut wrote:
I was impressed by Graham in the Royal Albert Hall last year, and his newer records are just great!

Yes Knut. I saw CSN in Manchester last July. Graham's vocals remained polished and intact. Stephen Stills struggled badly.

How is that different from 1970?
PostPosted:Thu Mar 25, 2010 15:01 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

John Truman wrote:
Thanks from me too, Vrinda.

It was great seeing all those induction clips.

All in a day's work, John! Very Happy

http://thehollies.proboards88.com
PostPosted:Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:47 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Susie Hewett Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I just watched the clips from TRRHOF and they are great. Allan, Graham, Bernie and Terry all looked well and it is obvious thet they were having the time of their lives. It was their night that was well deserved.

I felt sorry for poor Terry during the performance of Long Cool Woman, all he wanted to do was join in on a bit of lead vocals when another guy took the micrphone of him and started to sing and the look on Terry's face said it all and one can see he wasn't happy about it. Mad And also when Terry tried to get near Allan's microphone to join in on the corus that same bloke pushed in front of him. Terry was an important part of The Hollies and didn't deserve to be treated like that. Mad

Susie

Mad Mad Mad Mad

PostPosted:Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:28 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
John Truman Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Just spotted this on Terry's website:

"Hi, Terry here, well my 20 mins interview with Rolling Stone got me two words in the magazine regarding the R&RHOF induction, "totally rude" were the words, & that's the way Graham Nash & Allan Clarke were to me, Allan ignored me thoughout the evening, I have no idea why, I don't recall falling out with him, mind you I've not seen him for 29 years. Even though Graham did mention me in his speech, he acted aloof all evening. I didn't have a problem with Allan & Graham singing Carrie Anne & Bus Stop, but why was Graham allowed to stay onstage & play tambourine on Long Cool Woman? Again "totally rude" comes to mind! So I decided to take things into my own hands, & do the right thing for me, like I've always done, & always will do."

PostPosted:Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:27 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
benny-b-goode Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Very interesting but very sad to me. It's hard to accept that a band whose members are idols to me treat each other like that. They shouldn't act like that in public because I don't want to see things like that. And if they treat each other like that they should explain to their fans why. But if even Terry doesn't understand it, then how could we understand it ??
One things that shocked me was that Allan and Terry haven't seen each other for the last 29 years. That means that they had no contact since Terry had left The Hollies. Something very bad must have happened back in 1981 that made them go seperate ways with no contact at all and even behaving in public like strangers 29 years later.
But one thing is for sure - Terry's singing was extremely bad on "Long Cool Woman". But no explanation for that.

Oh, and one last word about CSN. What is meant by the comment "What is different to 1970" ? Stephen Stills had an extremely good and rough rocking voice. Just listen to "Love The One You're With" from his first album or "Suite: Judy Blue Eyes" from CSN's debut album. Even on his last solo album "Man Alive" his voice sounds aged but good. His voice on the live album "CSNY: Deja Vu Live" was very bad and had nothing in common with the voice he had back in the 1970s.
PostPosted:Wed Apr 07, 2010 20:17 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I think being in a band is still like a place of work for these guys or any other acts, so not talking to each other for 29 years well I have not spoken to people I worked with day ofter day since I left any job I have worked in. When the members were on the stage making their speeches Allan and Terry seemed to have a word to each other and things looked fine.
What Terry says maybe true, who know what all the relationships are like and in the end it's one persons view, but I do know Terry to me made a bit of a fool of himself sadly.

PostPosted:Wed Apr 07, 2010 21:26 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
malco Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

One wonders if the fact that Terry left in acrimonious circumstances in 1981 had anything to do with Alan's cold shoulder. If this was the case, maybe those in glass houses should not throw stones - considering Allan himself left the band on two occasions for his own purposes.
On the R&RHF performance maybe Terry was out of line, but I understand why he did it. He should have been invited to perform at least 'Long Coll Woman'. Having other singers tp pad out the performance did not do much for me. If I want to hear Monahan's voice Ill put on a Train Cd
PostPosted:Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:57 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Anthony wrote:
I think being in a band is still like a place of work for these guys or any other acts, so not talking to each other for 29 years well I have not spoken to people I worked with day ofter day since I left any job I have worked in. When the members were on the stage making their speeches Allan and Terry seemed to have a word to each other and things looked fine.
What Terry says maybe true, who know what all the relationships are like and in the end it's one persons view, but I do know Terry to me made a bit of a fool of himself sadly.

OK, but being in a band sharing feelings of happiness about success and of despair because of lack of success, so all ups and downs, is something different than feelings you have towards someone you work with every day in a regular job. They have been working together and writing songs (Sylvester-Hicks-Clarke) for ten years!!!! There are a lot of emotions they shared with each other. It is quite surprising that nothing is left of this.
PostPosted:Thu Apr 08, 2010 13:57 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

malco wrote:
One wonders if the fact that Terry left in acrimonious circumstances in 1981 had anything to do with Alan's cold shoulder. If this was the case, maybe those in glass houses should not throw stones - considering Allan himself left the band on two occasions for his own purposes.
On the R&RHF performance maybe Terry was out of line, but I understand why he did it. He should have been invited to perform at least 'Long Coll Woman'. Having other singers tp pad out the performance did not do much for me. If I want to hear Monahan's voice Ill put on a Train Cd

Allan left both times to do solo work. Terry's told so many stories about why he left that I don't know what the truth is. He said he wanted to do other things, and that he "run his course" with the Hollies, then he told that story about the guys voting Robin Britton out as manager. Robin was diagnosed with cancer and stepped down. There was no voting out. Allan reasons fopr leaving were very clear and did not lead to any discord between him and the rest of the Hollies. Terry's reasons, as ambiguous as they are, did create trouble between him and the other bandmembers that he is still choosing to continue to this day.

And we should stop criticizing Pat Monahan. He was asked to perform, so he did. I don't think he sang LCW that well, either, but he was the performer asked to do it. That's the only role he played, and had nothing to do with Terry not being asked to perform.

As for Terry's comments, did he ever think there were so many people about that evening, that Allan and Graham were going and talking to them, and may not have had a chance to get near Terry to talk to him. He doesn't say if he approached Allan or Graham himself and tried to talk to them, and how they reacted. How well did Terry and Graham even know each other? You can't go and view every single action of a person as something done untowards you.

PostPosted:Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:53 am

Last edited by Vrinda on Sun Apr 11, 2010 0:03 am; edited 1 time in total
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
malco Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

It does not really matter if Allan left to do solo work. The fact that he left twice would have caused some problems for the band for recordings and tours..[/quote]
PostPosted:Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:31 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Knut Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

[quote="Vrinda"]
malco wrote:
On the R&RHF performance maybe Terry was out of line, but I understand why he did it. He should have been invited to perform at least 'Long Cool Woman'. Having other singers to pad out the performance did not do much for me. If I want to hear Monahan's voice Ill put on a Train Cd

Very well analysed as always from you, Vrinda!

Would you believe the Hollies had power to stay by evolution of their style from Buddy Holly ? That's for certain because they follow what goes around, write on and go out on the road. They did it then, they do it now - please do it always.
PostPosted:Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:58 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

malco wrote:
It does not really matter if Allan left to do solo work. The fact that he left twice would have caused some problems for the band for recordings and tours..
[/quote]

You mentioned that Allan left for his own purposes, and I explained why. Those things happen in bands. These are different people with different ideas working together, and there will come a time when someone gets tired and wants to move on. Allan was restless with the music the Hollies were going in the late sixties, and wanted to do something different. The rest of the band gave him the option of staying with them or leaving. He chose to leave, and they were fine with it and knew what they were getting into without having him around. Allan's leaving did not cause any problems the band did not expect.

When he left the second time, it was because of problems the band was causing: In this case, not listening to his ideas for the kind of music they should be doing. Allan got frustrated with trying to reinvent the wheel over and over, and decided to go off on his own again.

To Knut: Thank you. Very Happy

PostPosted:Sun Apr 11, 2010 0:02 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Vrinda wrote:
malco wrote:
It does not really matter if Allan left to do solo work. The fact that he left twice would have caused some problems for the band for recordings and tours..

You mentioned that Allan left for his own purposes, and I explained why. Those things happen in bands. These are different people with different ideas working together, and there will come a time when someone gets tired and wants to move on. Allan was restless with the music the Hollies were going in the late sixties, and wanted to do something different. The rest of the band gave him the option of staying with them or leaving. He chose to leave, and they were fine with it and knew what they were getting into without having him around. Allan's leaving did not cause any problems the band did not expect.

When he left the second time, it was because of problems the band was causing: In this case, not listening to his ideas for the kind of music they should be doing. Allan got frustrated with trying to reinvent the wheel over and over, and decided to go off on his own again.

To Knut: Thank you. Very Happy[/quote]

Allan was not satisfied with the direction The Hollies were going ??? I know that he was not too satisfied with the Nash-dominant "Butterfly" and in the late 70s with "A Crazy Steal", although I don't understand it because both albums are great.
But, anyway, that surprises me, because to my ears the sound of Allan's early solo work and The Hollies early 1970s albums don't sound too different.
Just listen to Allan's last Hollies album before leaving the first time "Distant Light" and compare it to the songs and sound of "'Arold" then you will hear many similarities. The gospel feeling of "What A Life I've Led" and the gospel-rock sound with a slow and atmospheric interlude you can find on "Distant Light"'s "You Know The Score", as well as on "'Arold"'s "Let Us Pray". The Hollies' "Romany" and Allan's "Headroom" don't sound too far apart for me, as well.
And if you take Allan's 1976 album "I've Got Time" it's a great album but it doesn't sound to me, as if he wanted to reinvent the wheel. And he recorded "Sanctuary" alone and with The Hollies. So where is the musical difference ?
I love Allan's solo work and The Hollies' albums, as well, but it doesn't sound like musical differences between him and the rest of the band. I always thought that his ambition to leave the band was inspired by Graham's success, as if he wanted to reach the same success. That's all!
But still I also don't know what was going on between Terry and the rest of the band in 1981. I have heard about quarrels going on during the sessions they had with Mike Batt but I'm not sure.
PostPosted:Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:18 am
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next