The Hollies Forum Index » Elevated Observation » The Searchers
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Susie Hewett Post subject: The Searchers
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Everyone

Last Night I went to The Rooty Hill RSL Club and saw The Searchers and they were absolutely Sensational and worth the $20 I paid to see them. Today's line-up consists of John McNally (the only original member), Frank Allen, Spencer James and Eddie Rothe and they put on a truely magnificent show.

The Searchers came on stage at 8.15pm (15 minutes late) and played right through until 10.00pm and I loved every second and didn't want it to end, I was down the front at the table between Frank and Spencer and had a great view of all of them.

Frank took us down memory lane and gave us a history of how The Searchers started out and said that John has been with the band from the beginning (which I already knew) and that he (Frank) joined in August 1964. I think Spencer and Eddie joined in the 1980's.

The Searchers sang many of their hits including - Swaeets For My Sweet, Needles And Pins (my favourtite), Have You Ever Loved Somebody, Don't Trow Your Love Away, Goodbye My Love, What Have They Done To The Rain, Love Potion No.9, Da Doo Run Run. When You Walk In The Room, Take Me For What I'm Worth, Twist And Shout, The Rose (The Bette Midler Song), You'll Never Walk Alone (the Gerry And The Pacemakers Song) and Young Girl (I've heard the original version but don't know who sang it). They also performed some 'B' sides and Album tracks. Like many other bands from The 60's who still perform today, The Searchers also added some humor to the show to get everyone laughing.

After the show I bought a live CD The Searchers recorded in 2007 and I got to meet them and they all signed the cover sleeve for me.

That's about the 12th time I've seen The Searchers since 1995 and I will deffinately see them again next time they come to Australia.

My rating for the concert - 10 out of 10 with 10 gold stars.

Susie

PostPosted:Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:41 am

Last edited by Susie Hewett on Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:40 am; edited 1 time in total
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
John Truman Post subject: The Searchers
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hi Susie
The Searchers are my all-time second favourite band (after the Hollies of course) and I've seen them play live several times They have always put on a good show and stil play to large audiences.
I bought their DVD as well which is great and I particularly liked the interviews with the band members.
By the way, Young Girl was originally recorded by Gary Puckett and the Union Gap.

PostPosted:Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:53 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Susie Hewett Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi John Exclamation

The Searchers are my all-time third favourite band (behind The Hollies and Australian 70's band Sherbet). They come to Sydney about this time every year and I always go and see them.

I made a slight error in my review, I bought a live CD not a DVD, I have just corrected that mistake.

Susie

PostPosted:Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:47 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Bernd from Germany Post subject:

Hello,

I like the Searchers too

Best wishes

Bernd
PostPosted:Sun Feb 07, 2010 16:11 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
malco Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

I saw The Searchers for the third time in as many years at the Master Builders Club in Wollongong. Their musicianship can't be denied but I thought they stopped singing too many times in order to get the audience to sing along.
PostPosted:Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:19 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
deliasmiff Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

malco wrote:
I saw The Searchers for the third time in as many years at the Master Builders Club in Wollongong. Their musicianship can't be denied but I thought they stopped singing too many times in order to get the audience to sing along.

I know what you mean malco because I've seen the Searchers a few times and the stopping to get the audience to sing along is getting more and more and what is also annoying is that they play a few songs that they just keep going for far too long and Young Girl is one of them and they seem not to know when to stop and it sounds weird hearing blokes nearing 70 singing about a "young girl" in any case!!! Wink

They sing too many songs that aren't theirs like The Rose, Young Girl, Rocking all over the world, Seven nights to rock etc etc when they have so many brilliant songs and B sides of their own they could sing.

I went to see the SSS show tour the other day and have to say that I thought it was refreshing hearing Mike Pender for a change and I'd like to see him with his own backing group but have to say that Vanity Fare did a good job with him. He does those old Searchers songs rather well... actually better than John, Frank and Co.

It surprised me somewhat to see Mike Pender on the 25th anniversary of the SSS tour as the Searchers had done it for so long but having seen how excellent Mike was, I can see why he was there instead, so full of energy too and a great voice!!!
PostPosted:Sun May 23, 2010 20:55 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Knut Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I too was impressed by Mike Pender in Southport. They really should get together again.

Would you believe the Hollies had power to stay by evolution of their style from Buddy Holly ? That's for certain because they follow what goes around, write on and go out on the road. They did it then, they do it now - please do it always.
PostPosted:Thu May 27, 2010 4:38 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
deliasmiff Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

I'm sure I read somewhere that Mike Pender is part of a big "British 60's/70's Invasion" tour that is off to New Zealnd and Oz later in the year so well done to him for getting such a big gig so late in his career!!!! Cool Very Happy No idea who the rest of the artistes are though!
PostPosted:Sun Jun 06, 2010 13:47 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Elevated Observation
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1