graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Reflections Of A Time Long Past » For Certain Because
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject: For Certain Because
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

This is one of the Hollies purest Pop/Rock albums. There isn't a single Rock'n'Roll or real Rock track on it and we only get one ballad, Crusader, which is a beautiful song. Most of the other songs are very melodic fast ones. All of them are written by Clarke/Hicks/Nash. Two songs which feature Graham Nash on lead vocals are the perfect eastern influenced Tell Me To My Face with one of the best lead guitar lines Tony ever played and Clown which is a sad and slow song with a great e-guitar sound. One of my favourites is the funny High Classed which has a '30s styled brass accompaniment and this time the brass really works. A case were it doesn't work is What Went Wrong which has embarrassing horns in the intro which sound terrible but in the song they sound very good, I can't understand why they couldn't choose between a good brass arrangement and a bad one...
Suspicious Look In Your Eyes and Peculiar Situation are two more Pop/Rock songs just as another higlight Don't Even Think About Changing which has a great chorus which is only used twice but I think they've should used it at least three times. Two tracks feature a banjo played by Tony, the opener Whats Wrong With The Way I Live and hit single and closing track Stop Stop Stop. It's You has prominent harmonica playing by Allan. Pay You Back With Interest has a great piano line and the song changes from slow verses to a fast chorus.
As always the Lead Guitar playing is fantastic as is the drumming and of course the singing. This is one of the strongest albums the Hollies made in the '60s. If you want to hear them rock out you've got to buy one of the earlier ones, the next one, Evolution, or one of the '70s albums, on here you won't find anything...

Best songs: Pay You Back With Interest, Tell Me To My Face, Don't Even Think About Changing

Worst songs: there is no bad one on it

Rating: a strong 9 out of 10 (just a bit more rocking and it would have been a 10)[/i]
PostPosted:Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:29 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
katdowl Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

This is my favourite hollies album as its got so many memories for me. It was one of the first albums I bought and it was the only album that lifted my spirits up on the day my Nan died 6 years ago Crying or Very sad

Nearly all the tracks on here sound happy and make you want to dance Smile

My favourite tracks are suspicious look in your eyes, pay you back with interest, high classed and stop stop stop but theres no bad song on here.

kathryn
PostPosted:Thu Mar 23, 2006 16:42 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I've always wanted to ask: What's with the "click" at the end of Clown? It sounds like someone in the engineering booth just hit a stop button or something without first fading out the recording level. A minor point, to be sure, but it sure surprised me when I first heard that song. Laughing When I first copied that album onto cassette for use in my car, I faded out the song right before the click so that I wouldn't hear it!

The album cover on the U.S. version of this LP, "Stop Stop Stop," is very cool. The lads look like a bunch of hippies, with Graham looking particularly casual barefoot and goateed.

I love this album, and always have. Pay You Back With Interest is a great song, and was a hit in the U.S. for Imperial Records. I like the change in time signature, as well as Bernie's piano. Graham's soaring vocal in the middle eight is a real highlight.

Stop Stop Stop, it almost goes without saying, is a real show-stopper. It's a great song, and has everything one could ask for. Who would have ever considering using the banjo as the lead instrument on a rock and roll song?

Suspicious Look In Your Eyes has a very strong melody and chorus.

Aside from Tell Me To My Place (there I go again, liking a song with a solo Graham vocal), my other album highlight is What Went Wrong. That is simply a dynamite track, possibly my favorite after the hits. The melody and singing are each just fantastic.

I think that I'll play my CD of this album tonight!
PostPosted:Thu Apr 27, 2006 21:08 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

SpartyScott wrote:
I've always wanted to ask: What's with the "click" at the end of Clown? It sounds like someone in the engineering booth just hit a stop button or something without first fading out the recording level. A minor point, to be sure, but it sure surprised me when I first heard that song. Laughing When I first copied that album onto cassette for use in my car, I faded out the song right before the click so that I wouldn't hear it!

The album cover on the U.S. version of this LP, "Stop Stop Stop," is very cool. The lads look like a bunch of hippies, with Graham looking particularly casual barefoot and goateed.

I love this album, and always have. Pay You Back With Interest is a great song, and was a hit in the U.S. for Imperial Records. I like the change in time signature, as well as Bernie's piano. Graham's soaring vocal in the middle eight is a real highlight.

Stop Stop Stop, it almost goes without saying, is a real show-stopper. It's a great song, and has everything one could ask for. Who would have ever considering using the banjo as the lead instrument on a rock and roll song?

Suspicious Look In Your Eyes has a very strong melody and chorus.

Aside from Tell Me To My Place (there I go again, liking a song with a solo Graham vocal), my other album highlight is What Went Wrong. That is simply a dynamite track, possibly my favorite after the hits. The melody and singing are each just fantastic.

I think that I'll play my CD of this album tonight!

Great album, one of the early classics.

PostPosted:Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:29 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I just played "What Went Wrong" and I was pretty much blown away by the song's quality.

The lyrics and melody, as well as the performances, were all wonderful. This song is easily the equal of any album track by artists from that era, including the Beatles.

Play "What Went Wrong" at a good high volume, and listen to Allan's passionate vocal, Graham's backing, and the Vickers accompaniment.

This is just an outstanding song, and sounds fresh and exciting even today.
PostPosted:Thu Jul 12, 2007 0:20 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
benny-b-goode Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I put my CD of that album in the player yesterday. And every time I listen to it I think:"What a great album!"
My absolute favourite one always was and still is "High Classed". I can't stop singing along to it when it starts. My singing isn't the brilliant quality of singing Allan shows on that song, of course (as on nearly all of the songs Allan sings on). And I like that image of a two-class relationship. It definitely fits to the music of that song.
I love all of the songs but the other two absolute highlights are "Crusader" and "What Went Wrong" (and I like that powerful horn arrangement).
Thanks for that album, Hollies Very Happy
PostPosted:Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:14 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

SpartyScott wrote:
I just played "What Went Wrong" and I was pretty much blown away by the song's quality.

The lyrics and melody, as well as the performances, were all wonderful. This song is easily the equal of any album track by artists from that era, including the Beatles.

Play "What Went Wrong" at a good high volume, and listen to Allan's passionate vocal, Graham's backing, and the Vickers accompaniment.

This is just an outstanding song, and sounds fresh and exciting even today.

Funny; I was just thinking about that song and how great it is. Superb arrangement and outstanding vocal by Clarke. Top class track; a very sophisticated sound. Maybe the album lacks real rock and roll (due mainly to the absence of lead guitar propelling the songs), but remember 1966 was the year of "Rubber Soul" which heralded a mellower Beatles sound as well. This was the mood at the time. The Kinks put out 'Face To Face', another change of pace for a British band.
PostPosted:Tue Jun 17, 2008 17:31 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dawn D Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I'm a relatively new Hollies fan, in the sense that it's only in the last couple of years I've started to collect Hollies music. I've always liked them and I've been going to see them in concert since 1997, but a greatest hits album had always been enough.
Something 'clicked' when I saw the lads in 2007 so I've been buying various CD collections ever since and trying to get as many different songs together, rather than having to buy every album etc. I got another Hollies 3 CD collection for Christmas and on it was Clown. What a song! I love it, so of that time, you just know it's from the mid 60s (also So Lonely, wow!) They would definitely make it in my top 10 of Hollies songs. Now I've found out Clown is on For Certain Because and reading your comments I'm going to have to buy this album. I'll probably end up buying all the albums anyway !!
PostPosted:Mon Jan 18, 2010 21:03 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Reflections Of A Time Long Past
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1