graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band » Allan Clarke and `Arold now on Magic records
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Bonus Post subject: Allan Clarke and `Arold now on Magic records
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Now is Allan Clarke´s first soloproject, My real name is `Arold, released on Magic Records.

There´s just one bonustrack Oh granny (with The Hollies) - but that´s not a real bonustrack in my opion.
PostPosted:Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:12 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Knut Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Thanks for the info, Bonus!

http://www.magic-records.com/boutique/fiche_produit.cfm?ref=3930856&type=313&num=0&code_lg=lg_fr

Would you believe the Hollies had power to stay by evolution of their style from Buddy Holly ? That's for certain because they follow what goes around, write on and go out on the road. They did it then, they do it now - please do it always.
PostPosted:Wed Dec 09, 2009 18:55 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Great news Knut,
That album has one of my favourite Allan Clarke vocals with MARY SKEFFINGTON.

PostPosted:Wed Dec 09, 2009 20:17 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Shouldn't "Coward By Name" have been a bonus track here?

Anyway, I've had a boot of this CD for years. I'll be happy to buy the legit version. I only get boots if there is no official release.

That is, other than the Ass album by Badfinger. The boot sounds ten times better than Apple's official, now out of print, release.
PostPosted:Thu Dec 10, 2009 21:09 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
benny-b-goode Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

GREAT NEWS FOR ME!
I've been waiting for a CD release of this album for a long time. I always wondered why all Allan Clarke albums are out on CD except for the very first and the very last. I know that "Reasons To Believe" is out on CD but it's very hard to get.
The other albums I have on CD. Could anybody tell me more about those albums ?
How are "My Real Name Is 'Arold" and "Reasons To Believe" like ?
I could imagine that "My Real Name Is 'Arold" is something between Hollies "Distant Light" and Allan Clarke's "Headroom" - and that would be fantastic.
But I have absolutely NO idea how "Reasons To Believe" is like because it's so far away from any Hollies or Allan Clarke solo album in time (1990). Is it all 1980s style ? Are there some good Allan Clarke ballads or rockers on it ?
PostPosted:Tue Dec 22, 2009 15:57 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Romany Post subject:

Hi benny-b-goode,

in my opinion "reasons to believe" is much too synthetic. Some songs are really good but the arrangement isn't. If you are interested send me a pm.
PostPosted:Tue Dec 22, 2009 16:44 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

benny-b-goode wrote:
GREAT NEWS FOR ME!
I've been waiting for a CD release of this album for a long time. I always wondered why all Allan Clarke albums are out on CD except for the very first and the very last. I know that "Reasons To Believe" is out on CD but it's very hard to get.
The other albums I have on CD. Could anybody tell me more about those albums ?
How are "My Real Name Is 'Arold" and "Reasons To Believe" like ?
I could imagine that "My Real Name Is 'Arold" is something between Hollies "Distant Light" and Allan Clarke's "Headroom" - and that would be fantastic.
But I have absolutely NO idea how "Reasons To Believe" is like because it's so far away from any Hollies or Allan Clarke solo album in time (1990). Is it all 1980s style ? Are there some good Allan Clarke ballads or rockers on it ?

Let's put it this way -- I own Reasons To Believe, but I can tell you nothing about it.

I bought the album about three months after it came out. I played it once, then quickly put it aside. A year or so later, I thought, "I was probably too hard it. I should give it another try. So I popped it on the CD player, but I dont' believe that I played the whole thing through.

Since then, I've never even considered playing it again.

So while I don't remember the CD, I guess I can say that I cannot recommend it!
PostPosted:Wed Dec 23, 2009 16:44 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

OK, that doesn't sound too good. Sad
Anyway, merry christmas to all Hollies fans out there.
PostPosted:Thu Dec 24, 2009 13:34 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

"'Arold" is a really great Allan Clarke album. I have my Magic Records CD version of it now. Not a single bad song on it. Highlights are: Ruby, Mary Skeffington, Moonshine Whiskey and You're Losing Me.
BUT: Why is the sound so bad ?? It sounds as bad as "Out On The Road" on Magic. Why ???
Next question: I have read that there were two singles from that album - "Ruby" and "You're Losing Me" and "You're Losing Me" had a non-album B-side - "Coward By Name". Shouldn't that one be a Bonus track instead of a Hollies track ??? Or will it be on a possible future Magic release of "Headroom" ? Maybe they continue in a chronological order with Allan's solo albums. But it should have been on the "'Arold" CD as a B-side of a single belonging to that album, right ?
Thanks, Magic Records, but they could do a much better job on digital remastering. Sometimes Allan's voice sounds distorted but not as an intended sound effect. And they seem to have taken the whole echo from the record. AND: They could do a better job on research and put non-album B-sides on the CD that should be on it.
PostPosted:Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:36 am
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1