graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Reflections Of A Time Long Past » Write On
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject: Write On
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

This is the first album the Hollies released in 1976; another studio album and a live album followed. And Allan Clarke recorded another solo album. A very busy year for the Hollies and Allan in particular.
And Write On is a very good album, it sounds fresher than Another Night, although the songs on that one might have been a bit stronger but I like Write On a little more. First of all because it has one of the greatest Rock'n'Roll songs the Hollies ever did: Crocodile Woman. It's piano based but it has some strong guitar parts by Tony, which just rock! The album starts with a cool pop/rocker, Star, with a nice flute sound. The title track is a song which starts of as a ballad but than turns into a rock song as the line "Sing your rock and roll..." begins. After that we have the great country pop song Sweet Country Calling, so the album starts with three killer tracks. The next one, Love Is The Thing is a bit boring, so I would consider that one as a letdown. I'm also not a big fan of Narida because it sounds kinda stupid. My Island is very soft rockish but it's a nice ballad. Stranger is another rocker and the two side closers I Won't Move Over and There's Always Goodbye, the only one that is not written by Clarke/Sylvester/Hicks, are ballads in the style of He Ain't Heavy or I Can't Tell The Bottom From The Top.
All in all it's a very good album although I don't understand why they didn't put the great folk rock ballad Samuel, which remained unissued until the Abbey Road CD's, on this album. It's far better than for example Narida or Love Is The Thing , in fact it would have been one of the best songs on here.

Best songs: Star, write On, Sweet Country Calling, Crocodile Woman

Worst songs: Love Is The Thing, Narida

Rating: 8 out of 10
PostPosted:Thu Oct 07, 2004 17:30 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I kinda agree about Narida, but Love Is The Thing definitely grows on you for a while Laughing . Samuel (as you say) is also a killer track Cool . I really like Write On - I think disillusionment was setting in though - just check the lyrics to the title track! Smile
PostPosted:Thu Oct 07, 2004 21:18 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Write On is a good album but I think it is just beyond the pale of classic Hollies. I always feel a little change around 1974, perhaps, because the hits were over. There are plenty of good tracks after '74 but no classics.

On a Hollies- philosophical note I'm trying to figure out what exactly is "classic" Hollies, what defines The Hollies for me. Sure they made some fine, over looked albums but they are remembered for the hits. And somehow, I feel, the hacylon days of '60s British pop really defines them even if that's not what they really were. For me, the image of the Hollies is Allan Clarke dancing in front of his microphone as he sings some infectious pop song circa 1967.

I think if you hold that image in your head and fast forward to Write On, you see two very different bands. If any of you have seen Allan Clarke sing Write On on one of those TV shows from the mid- 70s, he is closer to Roger Daltrey than his own 60s pop persona. He sings, "Music freaks and all those hustlers..." with such conviction, and a touch of menace. He struts almost!

Back to the album...

I think Star is a fine opener. It shows the Hollies moving into new territory with confidence. The addition of keyboards is interesting, novel and the lyrics are solid and amusing "She was taking it easy/ taking it slow/ I said, "come on baby, I'm ready to go".
Write On itself is a great rock and roll anthem, it moves from ballad to gospel and has a terrific guitar solo. I don't really see it as a sign of disillusionment, it seems more like a lesson to youngsters or a piece of autobiography. Could people with 25 charted UK singles sing "Find a man with a van" ?
Sweet Country Calling is a fine lump of country. Love Is The Thing is boring but inoffensive. For some reason I can't distinguish I Won't Move Over and Narida. I think Narida was the better of the two.
Stranger. A not very interesting Long Cool Woman knock off?
Croc' Woman is a good listen in the car up and down. My Island is nice too, a bit undistinguished but very nicely sung.

The album closes with There's Always Goodbye which is one of the best tracks. It's a nice hooky piece of pop.

All in all a good album. Certainly worth a listen as it contains some minor Hollies classics such as Star and Right On.

Why they chose to leave Samuel off the album is a mystery.

Sorry for all that Hollies philosophy but I find the guys hard to pin down, probably because they kept on changing and trying new things.

Micheal
PostPosted:Thu Oct 07, 2004 23:03 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Susie Hewett Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Write On in my opinon is one of the best albums The Hollies even released, there isn't one bad song on it. They could have done something better with the cover though.

My favourite tracks are: Star, My Island, Crocodile Woman and Sweet Country Calling

Rating: 10 out of 10

All The Best

Susie
PostPosted:Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:17 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I love this album, brings back fond memories of their "Write on" tour 1976.
I have the Aussie tour poster from that visit. That's one of my prize possessions, thank God for that factory wall and early starts. Lets just say not many others saw that poster after I spotted it.

PostPosted:Sun Oct 10, 2004 22:42 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
sherb Post subject:

My favourite Hollies album. I still remember to this day going into the record shop and buying the single of Star. I made the guy behind the counter play it, I couldn't wait to get home to have a listen. Laughing

My favourite songs would be Write On (which would be close to my favourite Hollies song of all time), Star (despite the absurd premise of the lyrics, I found it incredibly catchy and loved whatever that instrument was - piccolo or piccolo flute?), Sweet Country Calling and Nerida.
PostPosted:Tue Sep 22, 2009 14:48 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
malco Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

The wind instrument on 'Star' was a recorder played by Peter Arnesen.
PostPosted:Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:41 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Carrie Anne Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Write On !!!!!
PostPosted:Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:10 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Knut Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

The song Write on is one of my all time favourites by the Hollies. It is strong, tuff and rocky, but also melodic. I wish the band would play it live again.

Would you believe the Hollies had power to stay by evolution of their style from Buddy Holly ? That's for certain because they follow what goes around, write on and go out on the road. They did it then, they do it now - please do it always.
PostPosted:Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:10 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
håkan strandberg Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Hi there Knut.Yes I agree with you that is a great song,hope they will do it live someday,
maybe in Oslo in september.

Have a great day.Håkan
PostPosted:Sat Jan 15, 2011 17:05 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Carrie Anne Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

The outstanding album Write On just blows me away. Starting with the upbeat ditty Star with it's reggae beat and quirky disposition is a positive opener in my book. Love Is The Thing is a beautiful song that sends shivers down your spine and leaves you in bits. But the pierce de resistance for me is the tiltle track - Clarkeys haunting vocal, the glorious harmonies and Tony Hicks guitar solo are just exquisite. This amazing group proving to be a definate cut above the rest - I adore this album and this iconic band.
PostPosted:Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:31 am
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Reflections Of A Time Long Past
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1