graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » shade of pale
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
håkan strandberg Post subject: shade of pale
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Just sit and listenon you tube and find a live performance of A whiter shade of pale by The Hollies .Great i love it. I must listen again.

Have a nice evening.

Håkan.
PostPosted:Mon Jul 13, 2009 20:45 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Knut Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Thanks for the info, Håkan. It's from the live cassette Purple rain, probably a bootleg.
I agree this version is superb.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Op4hnJFSu8

Would you believe the Hollies had power to stay by evolution of their style from Buddy Holly ? That's for certain because they follow what goes around, write on and go out on the road. They did it then, they do it now - please do it always.
PostPosted:Sun Jul 19, 2009 20:23 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
KP Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

That's amazing. I remember them doing this in concert, but didn't remember it being that good.

I've got the Purple Rain cassette that they sold at concerts - it doesn't have Whiter Shade of Pale on - are there two versions of this cassette?

PostPosted:Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:39 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Knut Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Oh, Keith, I was a bit incorrect. The bootleg cassette was called Think purple.

Would you believe the Hollies had power to stay by evolution of their style from Buddy Holly ? That's for certain because they follow what goes around, write on and go out on the road. They did it then, they do it now - please do it always.
PostPosted:Mon Jul 20, 2009 15:42 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Bonus Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Knut wrote:
Oh, Keith, I was a bit incorrect. The bootleg cassette was called Think purple.

Suppose You know, but there´s also a bootleg cd with this wonderful song. But what has Hollies added to the melody?? (Am I too critical now??). Sorry, but the Procol Harum-version is outstanding in my opion.
PostPosted:Mon Jul 20, 2009 19:58 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Agneta Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I really enjoy listening to the Hollies singing this lovely song, but I agree with Bonus that the original version by Procul Harum is better.
(And I wonder why the Hollies sing "humming louder" instead of "humming harder". and "slowly" instead of "ghostly".)
PostPosted:Tue Jul 21, 2009 14:57 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
benny-b-goode Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

THe original Procil Harum version never can be worse than any other version because it's not just the song but it's the whole Procol Harum sound, the organ, Gary Brooker's voice combined with their idea of turning a classical song into a pop song that makes this version so special.
But I love this Hollies version, as well, because it's so different. It would have been a mistake if they had used an organ, as well, and copied the Procol Harum version completely. They sang it with harmony vocals during the instrumental organ part what is The Hollies unique trademark and sound. PERFECT!!! Very Happy
PostPosted:Wed Jul 22, 2009 17:11 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
malco Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Certainly Procol Harum made the song their own and it is the iconic version. However, the Hollies' version shows their unique musicianship in how they approached the song, thereby making a great version with Clarke's strong vocals to the fore. No use just doing a straight copy.
PostPosted:Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:18 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
KP Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

malco wrote:
Certainly Procol Harum made the song their own and it is the iconic version. However, the Hollies' version shows their unique musicianship in how they approached the song, thereby making a great version with Clarke's strong vocals to the fore. No use just doing a straight copy.

Exactly - and I think it is difficult to compare the two versions as they are very different. By the way, anyone remember that Gary Brooker nearly became a Hollie, just before Allan's second coming!

PostPosted:Thu Jul 23, 2009 17:16 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Really ???? Gary Brooker a Hollie ??? Why ?? What did happen with his band Procol Harum in 1973/74 ? Did they ever break up ? I just know the stuff from their first four albums and I know that they still exist but I don't know anything about the time inbetween.
I just know that he was a "Hollie" for one song ("Harlequin") in 1979.
Might have been an interesting vocal harmony sound with him as lead singer. But I'm thankful that Allan came back because he has given us a lot of good songs before and after the Rickfors era.
PostPosted:Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:52 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
KP Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

benny-b-goode wrote:
Really ???? Gary Brooker a Hollie ??? Why ?? What did happen with his band Procol Harum in 1973/74 ? Did they ever break up ? I just know the stuff from their first four albums and I know that they still exist but I don't know anything about the time inbetween.
I just know that he was a "Hollie" for one song ("Harlequin") in 1979.
Might have been an interesting vocal harmony sound with him as lead singer. But I'm thankful that Allan came back because he has given us a lot of good songs before and after the Rickfors era.

I'm not sure if my memory is playing tricks with me, because the dates don't seem to fit, but I thought Gary Brooker almost joined the Hollies at the time Harlequin was recorded. Was there a point where Allan left for a short time around then? I'm sure that someone out there with a bit more knowledge than me can perhaps tell me if its all in my imagination!

PostPosted:Sun Jul 26, 2009 16:09 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Well, Allan recorded his "Legendary Heroes" album in 1979/80 but I don't think that he ever wanted to leave The Hollies again after 1974. Didn't he have a deal with The Hollies that he stays with them while he is allowed realising solo projects ?
PostPosted:Sun Jul 26, 2009 18:45 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

When The Hollies released "A Crazy Steal" in March 1978 it was suddenly announced in the UK Music Press that Allan Clarke had QUIT the group for a second time......!
PostPosted:Sun Jul 26, 2009 19:34 pm

Last edited by Gee on Sat Oct 31, 2009 20:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
KP Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Thanks Geoff - a minefield of information as usual. At least my memory wasn't too far out.

PostPosted:Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:58 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Oh, those were surprising news for me in many ways.
Allan was not satisfied with "A Crazy Steal" ?? I don't have any idea why. It's a real good album.
And there is a version of "Harlequin" with Gary Brooker singing lead in the archives ? Would be quite interesting to listen to it and how it sounds with Brooker's great voice and The Hollies.
And I didn't know that Gary Brooker was in Eric Clapton's band. When was that ? 1978-1980 maybe ? That must be Clapton's "Backless" or "Another Ticket" album. Or was he part of his live band ?

Lots of new information. Thanks Very Happy
PostPosted:Mon Jul 27, 2009 15:59 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic