graphic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » The very first Hollies record that you received or bought
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
malco Post subject: The very first Hollies record that you received or bought
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

I'm just wondering whether anyone can remember what was the very first Hollies record or CD that you got. The first one for me was an EP with 'Bus Stop', 'Its You', 'Stop Stop Stop' and 'Don't Run And Hide' that I received in 1967.
PostPosted:Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:46 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Knut Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

A bit tricky, since I bought Just one look and Stay at the same time. Then I went back to Searchin' and I only got hold of Ain't that Just like me years later in England, since it was not released in norway. I believe it must have been Just one look that really made me a fan.

Would you believe the Hollies had power to stay by evolution of their style from Buddy Holly ? That's for certain because they follow what goes around, write on and go out on the road. They did it then, they do it now - please do it always.
PostPosted:Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:11 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

20 Golden Greats. What a terrible cover but I went out a couple of weeks later and bought the Long Road Home Boxset. I love the mystery of discovering a new band you really like and trying to figure out the albums and the singles and all of that.
PostPosted:Wed Jun 10, 2009 13:01 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Connie Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

Even though I became a Hollies fan in 1966 I did not receive my first Hollies record until 1973. The guy I was dating at the time bought Distant Light for me as a Christmas present. I wish I still had it but it got lost in one of my moves.
PostPosted:Wed Jun 10, 2009 13:09 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

The single, when it was in the charts, of Long Cool Woman backed by (I think) Look What We've Got.

That was my first exposure to the Hollies - at age 12 - and I thought that was the best guitar sound I had ever heart.
PostPosted:Wed Jun 10, 2009 14:11 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
håkan strandberg Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

I first became a Hollies fan when I herd Stay on the Swedish Tio I topp.(top ten).
But the first hollie record i bought was Just one look in april 1964 and then it was
Here I go again and after that it was Stay ,and then it"s go on and on.Today I"we got about 145 Hollies records Singels LP"s and CD"s.

Have a nice evening.

Håkan.
PostPosted:Wed Jun 10, 2009 17:42 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
christocello Post subject: My first hollies record

As far as I can remember it was the German "Bus Stop" compilation (very similar to the american LP) that consists mainly of 65/66 material. What strikes me today is that I didn't like "I'm alive" at all at that time when I bought the LP (around 1980). My favourite songs were Bus Stop, Candy Man, We're through, Sweet little sixteen and Mickeys Monkey. Even "I'm a rock" seemed like "schmalz" to me.
My 2nd LP was "Hallo, the Hollies" two years later. I was not amused by the Smokie-like "Sandy" but I liked "listen to me" very much. Two decades later I dicovered "Evolution" (Reissue) on CD (it was highly praised in a record magazine). From then up to now my collection of Hollies Records has grown incredibly big.....
PostPosted:Wed Jun 10, 2009 18:05 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Carrie Anne Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

My first Hollies album was "Hollies Sing Dylan" which I purchased quite a few years ago on vinyl. First CD was "Romany" which I absolutely adore. Was brought up in a household with massive Hollies fans so was basically brought up with their music - But it was "Gasoline Alley Bred" which turned me on to this wonderful band in a huge way - Great Thread Very Happy
PostPosted:Wed Jun 10, 2009 23:53 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
elleransford Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

As a teen and student in the '80s and early '90s I really couldn't afford many records so I mostly made do with the radio. Luckily the Hollies seemed to get a fair amount of airplay at the time, on both commercial stations and the '60s specialty programs on the more adventurous college and free-form stations. By '95, the year I got my first "real job," I could finally begin collecting records in earnest. First set I bought was the American 3-CD "30th Anniversary Collection," which seems to be much-maligned but which really came in handy as a crash course, plus it had some rare previously unreleased stuff on it to boot. Gradually acquired the '60s catalogue over the years but only recently have I dared to fully tread the '70s waters--and to my amazement I came to love most of 'em as much as the '60s ones.
PostPosted:Thu Jun 11, 2009 15:56 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
benny-b-goode Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

For me it all started the year Allan left The Hollies. This is my 10th anniversary as a Hollies fan. Although it goes much further back. When I was 14 years old in 1993 I started listening to oldies radio stations. My absolute favourite song was "Bus Stop" (still is one of my three top 1960s songs). It was only in 1999 that I found out that the title of the song was "Bus Stop" and a band called The Hollies the performers. I bought my first CD which was "20 Golden Greats". I was very surprised that at least 10 of these 20 songs I knew from the radio. I started realizing that The Hollies were a superhit group like The Beatles (unlike Gerry & The Pacemakers and many others whose star faded in the mid-60s).
Then I bought the "Abbey Road" 3 CD collection and discovered their wonderful B-sides. I had a new favourite which was "Mad Professor Blythe". Then I started collectiong the albums ("Butterfly" was the first because I liked the cover - still is one of my favourites). Then I tried to get all the 80/90s B-sides. Now my Hollies collection is almost complete. It's a real shame that The Hollies only take songs from their "Greatest Hits" compilations. There are so many pearls on their albums. Every time it happened it was great to have a new album by The Hollies in my hands. I hope that "Then, Now, Always" wasn't the last one. Very Happy
PostPosted:Thu Jun 18, 2009 19:03 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Ray Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Hollies Live recorded In christchurch New Zealand. Just 30 minutes away from where I live. Wiggle that Wotsit was getting a lot af airplay in 1977 and I really liked that song (not everyones favourite I know) but I really liked it. My brother knew about this so one day when he was up the street he bought me a tape of Hollies Live and gave it to me as a gift. Boy did it get thrashed I loved it, and was supprised to discover how many of the songs I had heard before. I was now hooked. From there I quickly bought their 20 greatest hits,and Hollies Sing Dylan. Russian Roulette I got for christmas and I spent most of my milk round money buying Romany, Distant light, Write On, Another night. All were still availiable brand new in the record stores. But I couldnt get much if any of their 60's albums. Most of that had to wait until about 5-6 years ago when I discovered Amazon.com. Then I started finally buying their 60's albums. I still remember looking through the records and buying the just released albums A Crazy Steal, 5317704, Buddy Holly, and What Goes Around. Just magic.
Cheers Ray
PostPosted:Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:09 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
loenen16 Post subject: MY FIRST
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

my first was a album "Bus Stop "i got it from my dad .
and that was the beginning for me

My first was The Magic Woman touch ,the single .
I remember back then that i had not have the money to buy The baby .
my first album i bought was Romany
my First concert was in 1987 in Zwolle Holland in a cow hall ,sinds then i visit a couple ,also in england.
a thrill was finding a interview cd With Allan Clarke, Tony Hicks and Bobby from Major Oak Germany think from 1991 or so also engineerd by Ray Stiles
, And Bobby Elliott
and sometimes very lucky in bying stuff from the band .
so and that is what i believe in when youre hooked once you stay from the first album Stay With The Hollies untill the latest Now Then always ,i do, im sure i am.

greetings Bernard[/u]
PostPosted:Wed Jun 24, 2009 15:29 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

My first Hollies record was "The Best of the Hollies" It's pre Too Young to be Married, Heavy etc. The cover has the Lads standing on what looks like a brick wall.
Then when I really got into the group I would ride my bike to all the records shops in my area that sold second hand records and pick up all the old LP's. In the 70's I was able to buy the new records as they hit the stores, one of my biggest thrills was seeing their live album, this was before the internet so here in Oz I had no idea of when material was coming out.
Don't think I'm fit enough to ride the bike these days, I have very fond memories of looking for any old Hollies records, these days you would just go on ebay, easy but not as much fun.

PostPosted:Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:34 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Agneta Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I think the first Hollies record that I bought was Evolution, in 1967. It's still on of my favourite LPs.
Or it could have been the EP The Hollies Folk Style, with Stewball, Fifi The Flea, I Am A Rock and Crusader; a record I also treasure.
PostPosted:Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:20 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Susie Hewett Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I first became interest in The Hollies in 1968 (I was just 10 years old at the time and wasn't yet into buying records). My first Hollies single was Too Young To Be Married given to me by my sister for my Birthday. My first Hollies album was The Best Of The Hollies - the same album Anthony has with a photo of the guys standing on a brick wall, given to me by Mum for Christmas when I was about 15.

Susie

PostPosted:Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:45 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2