graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
katdowl Post subject: Everly Brothers and So Lonely
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I've just found this link on you tube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfflMWWFw5s

I believe they really do this song justice though I still slightly prefer the Hollies original version Wink
PostPosted:Wed Mar 19, 2008 23:06 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Bee Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

Aw, this is nice, i'd never heard The Everlys version of ths before. I like it. The Hollies version is better, it seems to suit them more. But it's nicely done here, thanks for posting Very Happy Very Happy
PostPosted:Thu Mar 20, 2008 0:43 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Knut Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

So lonely is one of my favourite Hollies songs! I agree it's nice the Everlys covered it, thinking of the fact that they inspired Graham and Allan in the first place. In that perspective, Two yanks in England is historical.

Would you believe the Hollies had power to stay by evolution of their style from Buddy Holly ? That's for certain because they follow what goes around, write on and go out on the road. They did it then, they do it now - please do it always.
PostPosted:Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:45 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

You really should purchase the Everly's "Two Yanks" album, as there are seven Hollies songs on it.

It's very unclear who plays on it, but as a guess Tony and Bobby at a minimum played on those seven tracks. I recall reading that Clarke felt honored that one of the Everly's asked him how a passage should be sung. Nash loved the Everlys too, so he was surely at the sessions as well.

By the way, that link no longer has the song, as it gives this message:

"This video has been removed by the user. "
PostPosted:Wed Apr 22, 2009 22:39 pm

Last edited by SpartyScott on Thu Apr 23, 2009 13:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I believe Clarke, Hicks, & Nash were in attendance....

Bobby Elliott told me he actually only played on the ONE track...having just returned to the UK at that time...but he did not say which !
PostPosted:Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:04 am

Last edited by Gee on Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
katdowl Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Gee wrote:

In retrospect it is perhaps a pity that ALL the Clarke-Hicks-Nash songs are credited here to "L. Ransford" on this album....

....as HAD the Hollies songwriters been given FULL credit for penning 75% of an tremendous album by the legendary Everly Brothers....in 1966 ! Cool

...then The Hollies MIGHT have GOT far more IMPORTANT international recognition & Critical acclaim as Songwriters back then....as Many WRONGLY assumed The Hollies were just NOT in the same League as songwriters as the likes of say; Lennon-McCartney, Jagger-Richards, Ray Davies , Pete Townshend, Brian Wilson, Dave Clark-Mike Smith etc....all of whom penned their own Band's hits...

...I d guess few ever realised they had written "We're Through" - again as "Ransford" ! - some two years earlier in 1964 either...

...and while The Searchers 1966 single "Take it or Leave it" was credited to "Jagger-Richard" (of The Stones) Cool ...their "Have You Ever Loved Somebody" single was credited to "Ransford"....thus very few probably ever knew that was in fact a Hollies composed song... Sad

You can STILL read this type of "Assumption" that The Hollies were "Pop Lightweights" always dependant on outside composers...on some websites that glibly Dismiss The Hollies even today...

Yes very true Geoff, relatively recently I heard the Searchers version of Have You Ever Loved Somebody and after it was played the DJ said the Hollies covered it Rolling Eyes
PostPosted:Fri Apr 24, 2009 16:42 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1