graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » Hollies & The BBC... just a thought...
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
waterloosunset13 Post subject: Hollies & The BBC... just a thought...

Hello, I'm back again and this time I promise not to ask so many questions. I was browsing around on the board and a thought came to me. Did The Hollies ever perform on the BBC like so many other bands of the time did ie. The Kinks, The Beatles, The Searchers? If so, wouldn't it be great to have a BBC collection of The Hollies??? Granted, most of the BBC collections have some pretty rough sound (do to the source the tapes came from), but it would be a cool little historical footnote for all the die hards out there. Just my two cents worth that I thought I'd throw out there.

Matthew

PostPosted:Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:41 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

The Hollies performed umpteen times on BBC Radio, mostly between 1963 and 1968.....tho' they even did Exclusive Radio work thereafter, indeed right up to today...

They did quite a bit of early Rock'n' Roll songs on the Radio circa 1963-64....

The Hollies recorded specific "BBC Versions" of their hits like: "Here I Go Again", "I'm Alive", "Look Through Any Window", "Bus Stop", "Stop Stop Stop" (with a guitar instead of Banjo) , "Jennifer Eccles" etc....plus songs such as "Nobody", "You Must Believe Me", "Mickey's Monkey", "Too Many People", "To You My Love", "That's How Strong My Love is", "Hard Hard Year", and later songs such as: "The Games We Play", "Pegasus", "Step Inside", "Butterfly", "Wishyouawish", ....

...and even an early version of "Wings" which had differing lyrics ("...Why do WE want THEM to walk when THEY can Fly...")

The Hollies also cut BBC versions of songs from their Live show never "officially" cut for EMI.....

Tracks like: "Shake !", "Ride Your Pony", "Reelin' & Rockin'", a BBC version of "She Said Yeah" and others....

the BBC tracks mainly feature the "Clarke-Hicks-Nash" version of The Hollies from the "Beat Boom" era when the band were "Never off" Radio & TV as Allan Clarke put it....
They were guests on Brian Matthew' "Saturday Club" plus "Alan Freeman Show", & The Beatles' BBC Series such as "Pop Go The Beatles" etc.....among other BBC Radio programmes.

The Hollies also appeared as guests on Radio Luxembourg Shows too...

Later The "Clarke-Hicks-Sylvester" Hollies also cut BBC versions of "Sorry Suzanne" (with the singles' piano led intro - 18 October 1969) & a BBC "Long Cool Woman (in a Black Dress)" circa 1971 plus other songs....

I can recall hearing The "Mark Two" Hollies sing on radio Bob Dylan's "Tonight I'll be Staying Here With You" & "You Ain't Goin' Nowhere" circa 1969-70....

More recently The Current Hollies appeared on radio's "Drive Time" doing Radio versions of a few tracks from "Staying Power"....basically Peter Howarth-Tony Hicks-Steve Lauri with Acoustic guitars doing "Unplugged" versions of songs such as "Emotions".

A "Hollies at The BBC" collection would be BRILLIANT ! - I remember Their "BBC Songs" were superbly played & sung (of course)....they were always every bit as strong as the BBC Recordings made by bands such as : The Beatles, The Kinks, The Moody Blues, Manfred Mann, Small Faces, Marmalade,Tremeloes, Dr.Feelgood, & others etc...... ALL of whom have already had their BBC tracks Officially released....

Indeed only bands like The Hollies & The Rolling Stones....and a few other bands ( like, say, The Shadows, The Searchers & The Swinging Blue Jeans, etc ?) BBC Tracks are still awaiting an official release ....

The Stones HAVE had a "Rolling Stones at The BBC" Radio programme, like The Beatles, however.
PostPosted:Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:28 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
waterloosunset13 Post subject:

Wow, I never realized they did so much for the BBC. Unfortunately, I'm not as familiar with The Hollies as I am with The Beatles and The Kinks, but I think it would be a great collection, especially if they threw on the acoustic versions of the songs they did off Staying Power. Thanks for the info. I guess we can only wait and see what may happen.

matthew

PostPosted:Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:39 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
katdowl Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Gee wrote:
The Hollies performed umpteen times on BBC Radio, mostly between 1963 and 1968.....tho' they even did Exclusive Radio work thereafter, indeed right up to today...

They did quite a bit of early Rock'n' Roll songs on the Radio circa 1963-64....

The Hollies recorded specific "BBC Versions" of their hits like: "Here I Go Again", "I'm Alive", "Look Through Any Window", "Bus Stop", "Stop Stop Stop" (with a guitar instead of Banjo) , "Jennifer Eccles" etc....plus songs such as "Nobody", "You Must Believe Me", "Mickey's Monkey", "Too Many People", "To You My Love", "That's How Strong My Love is", "Hard Hard Year", and later songs such as: "The Games We Play", "Pegasus", "Step Inside", "Butterfly", "Wishyouawish", ....

...and even an early version of "Wings" which had differing lyrics ("...Why do WE want THEM to walk when THEY can Fly...")

The Hollies also cut BBC versions of songs from their Live show never "officially" cut for EMI.....

Tracks like: "Shake !", "Ride Your Pony", "Reelin' & Rockin'", a BBC version of "She Said Yeah" and others....

the BBC tracks mainly feature the "Clarke-Hicks-Nash" version of The Hollies from the "Beat Boom" era when the band were "Never off" Radio & TV as Allan Clarke put it....
They were guests on Brian Matthew' "Saturday Club" plus "Alan Freeman Show", & The Beatles' BBC Series such as "Pop Go The Beatles" etc.....among other BBC Radio programmes.

The Hollies also appeared as guests on Radio Luxembourg Shows too...

Later The "Clarke-Hicks-Sylvester" Hollies also cut BBC versions of "Sorry Suzanne" (with the singles' piano led intro - 18 October 1969) & a BBC "Long Cool Woman (in a Black Dress)" circa 1971 plus other songs....

I can recall hearing The "Mark Two" Hollies sing on radio Bob Dylan's "Tonight I'll be Staying Here With You" & "You Ain't Goin' Nowhere" circa 1969-70....

More recently The Current Hollies appeared on radio's "Drive Time" doing Radio versions of a few tracks from "Staying Power"....basically Peter Howarth-Tony Hicks-Steve Lauri with Acoustic guitars doing "Unplugged" versions of songs such as "Emotions".

A "Hollies at The BBC" collection would be BRILLIANT ! - I remember Their "BBC Songs" were superbly played & sung (of course)....they were always every bit as strong as the BBC Recordings made by bands such as : The Beatles, The Kinks, The Moody Blues, Manfred Mann, Small Faces, Marmalade,Tremeloes, Dr.Feelgood, & others etc...... ALL of whom have already had their BBC tracks Officially released....

Indeed only bands like The Hollies & The Rolling Stones....and a few other bands ( like, say, The Shadows, The Searchers & The Swinging Blue Jeans, etc ?) BBC Tracks are still awaiting an official release ....

The Stones HAVE had a "Rolling Stones at The BBC" Radio programme, like The Beatles, however.

Thanks Geoff I knew the Hollies appeared on the BBC but I never realised how often they were featured.

Dave Dee and Co have also now had their BBC tracks officially released on BR Music which so wonderfully put together the Dutch Collection. I'm hoping they are going to release a Hollies BBC set in the not too distant future.
PostPosted:Thu Nov 27, 2008 23:05 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I think the Searchers have their BBC sessions out, they certainly have Swedish sessions out. Which begs the question what overseas radio sessions for The Hollies were recorded?

I'd be happy if they brought out the whole Stockholm '66 concert.
PostPosted:Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:33 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1