graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » New to the board and the music of The Hollies...
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
waterloosunset13 Post subject: New to the board and the music of The Hollies...

Hello one and all!!! I not one to normally do much with fan forums, but whenever I have a question, I know where to go to get the answers from the experts. I have a list of questions that hopefully I can get answers for, so here we go.

1) Does anybody know why they did not re-release the first four Hollies' albums in the jewel cases like the did for For Certain Because through Distant Light. Fortunately I was able to track down all four of the 1997 digipack versions (let me tell you, it was no easy task tracking down their self titled 1965 album). I have the 2-on-1 editions also.

2) Will EMI be releasing the remaining Hollies' albums like they've begun to do with Romany, Hollies (1974), Another Night and Buddy Holly?

3) Anybody know why they chose to release Hollies Sing Dylan only in stereo? I checked out their official discography, and I see that was their last album they released in both mono and stereo.

4) Can you suggest any other EMI reissues of Hollies' albums to add to my collection (minus the Magic reissues, please see question 6)?

Here's what I have so far:

Stay With The Hollies (1997 digipack edition featuring mono and stereo mixes)
In The Hollies Style (1997 digipack edition featuring mono and stereo mixes)
Hollies (1965) (1997 digipack edition featuring mono and stereo mixes)
Would You Believe? (1997 digipack edition featuring mono and stereo mixes)
For Certain Because... (2000 jewel case edition featuring mono and stereo mixes)
Evolution (2000 jewel case edition featuring mono and stereo mixes)
Butterfly (2000 jewel case edition featuring mono and stereo mixes)
Hollies Sing Dylan (2000 jewel case edition featuring stereo mix)
Hollies Sing Hollies (2000 jewel case edition featuring stereo mix)
Confession Of The Mind (2000 jewel case edition featuring stereo mix)
Distant Light (2000 jewel case edition featuring stereo mix)
Romany (2007 edition with bonus tracks)
Hollies (2008 edition with bonus tracks)
Another Night (2008 edition with bonus tracks)
The Hollies At Abbey Road (Box set with all 3 CDs)
Greatest Hits (2003 2-CD edition)
2-on-1 Stay With The Hollies/In The Hollies Style
2-on-1 Hollies/Would You Believe?
The Dutch Collection
The Hollies Finest

On my wishlist:
Buddy Holly
Staying Power (Why has it been discontinued?)
The Long Road Home (Boxset)

5) Sorry, I promise only two more questions. Does anybody know if a mono mix of Jennifer Eccles is available on CD?

6) Last, but no least, has anybody been fortunate enough to check out the reissues on the French label Magic? I want to get them 'cos they have some nice rare tracks, but there's little info out there on them. Which ones, if any, are in mono? Stereo? How's the quality?

Thank you one and all for taking the time to read my post and I look forward to hearing back from all of you.
PostPosted:Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:52 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

"Hollies Sing Dylan" Running time was too long for BOTH Stereo AND Mono versions to go on just the one Disc.....hence the Stereo only Disc - making the old Mono Parlophone vinyl album (PMC 7078) something of a "Hollies Rarity" now....

As I understand it EMI DO plan to re-issue the remaining Polydor studio albums, in the new year (not sure re "Hollies Live Hits" at present tho') .

You could try getting the Magic "E.P Collections" vol 1 to 3 as they include a few rare "Non UK" True Stereo versions of songs such as:
"You Know He Did" (1965), "Nobody" (1965) "Don't Run and Hide"(1966) , "Do The Best You Can"(1968), & "Cos' You Like To Love Me" (1969) etc....plus the "Non UK" first ( & Stereo) version of "A Taste of Honey" (1966),

.... and rare True Stereo versions of "You in My Arms" (1965) and "She Gives Me Everything I Want" (1965) both of which were both only in Mono on "The Long Road Home" box set..

...plus "Devi Avere Fiducia in Me" and "Non Prego Per Me" (Both Mono & 1967), and the LONG version of "Stop Stop Stop" (with extended Banjo solo).

The French Magic re-issues of "Stay With...", "Hollies Style", "Hollies"( '65), include among the "Bonus Tracks" the True Stereo versions of mono only UK 'B' sides such as: "Hey What's Wrong With Me", "Now's The Time" (both 1963), "Baby That's All", "Come On Back", "Keep Off That Friend of Mine" (all 1964) .... and the "Tambourine" version of "Just One Look" (1964) etc....

Try looking on Amazon for "Staying Power" or ask Rob if The Hollies themselves still have this for sale
- Has it now been Deleted by EMI Rob ? Shocked

The much maligned USA "30th Anniversary Set: 1963 - 1983" DOES at least include both the (so far) Only True Stereo versions of : "After The Fox" (1966) and "Open Up Your Eyes" (1968) ...and the rare track "Nothing Else But Love" (1993).

The Magic series sound quality has been criticised by some Hollies fans....they have issued "Out On The Road" (1973) - but the sound quality is awful !!

Hopefully EMI (UK) might....might...include a Crystal Clear remixed version with suitable "Bonus" tracks at the end of the current Polydor
studio albums re-issues series ?

- I have suggested this to both the guy at EMI doing the current series & to Bobby Elliott, we can only wait & see....

Hope this helps....
PostPosted:Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:07 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
waterloosunset13 Post subject:

Gee,

Thanks for the info about "Sing Dylan". That's too bad they never released the mono version.

Do you know if a mono version of "Jennifer Eccles" is in existence?

The songs I was looking for in original mono are "Jennifer Eccles", "What Kind Of Love", "When I'm Not There", and "Honey And Wine". Do you know know if these exist? I know you can find them in stereo, but once again they're on the much criticized Magic label reissues.

The reason I ask, is I have been putting together some compilations on iTunes (for my own obsessive listening pleasure) of their Singles Collections 1963-1970 and The Complete EP Collection.

Well, thanks so much for all the info.

PostPosted:Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:01 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

As far as I am aware the only true Mono version of "Jennifer Eccles" was on the original UK Parlophone single in 1968 (R5680) which was also later included on the Mono version of the UK album "Hollies Greatest" (Parlophone PMC 7057) issued in 1968. Both of these are quite rare now.
PostPosted:Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:48 am
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1