graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Elevated Observation » SMOKIE
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
David M Post subject: SMOKIE

Well I know this is a Hollies forum, but gee Smokie are m second-favourite band. Sure everyone knows their big hits, but they have so many great songs that are unheard of by most. In my opinion, the sound of their harmoniees are second only to The Hollies (yes, edging out The Bee Gees.)

I got a 3 CD set for only $9.95 - 45 songs and I especially now love those songa that I had not heard before and initially thought not much of but grew on me.

Anyway I recommend Smokie's songs (again, not just the well-known hits) to any Hollies fan.
PostPosted:Sun Oct 05, 2008 17:08 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Carrie Anne Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Yeah David, Smokie were a fantastic band with strong harmonies-Are they still going? I know that Chris Norman ex Smokie is still rockin' his socks off-The Chris Norman band were on with The Hollies at Stuttgart-He still sounds great and did an excellent set.
PostPosted:Sun Oct 05, 2008 22:26 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
David M Post subject: Re: SMOKIE

David M wrote:
Well I know this is a Hollies forum, but gee Smokie are m second-favourite band. Sure everyone knows their big hits, but they have so many great songs that are unheard of by most. In my opinion, the sound of their harmoniees are second only to The Hollies (yes, edging out The Bee Gees.)

I got a 3 CD set for only $9.95 - 45 songs and I especially now love those songa that I had not heard before and initially thought not much of but grew on me.

Anyway I recommend Smokie's songs (again, not just the well-known hits) to any Hollies fan.

Smokie had a replacement for Chris Norman - Alan Barton - but he died in a car crash whilst on tour. He was also an exceptional singer. Yes they are still going, with one original member still there. Chris Norman is still singing solo. There is an incredible live version of "Wild, Wild Angels" he sings on Youtube.
PostPosted:Tue Oct 07, 2008 13:58 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Susie Hewett Post subject: Re: SMOKIE
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

David M wrote:

Hi David Exclamation

I agree 100%, Smokie a fantastic band. They are one of my all time favourite bands and I have all of their recorfs from the 70's (singles and albums) that I still play. And I saw the original line-up when they came to Australia in 1979 and they put on a truely sensational show.

My favorite Smokie songs are Oh Carol, Living Next Door To Alice, Take Good Care Of My Baby and I'll Meet You At Midnight.

Susie

PostPosted:Sat Oct 11, 2008 0:37 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
David M Post subject: Re: SMOKIE

Very Happy Very Happy Hiya Susie. Cool!

I love in particular "Babe It's Up To You", "San Francisco Bay", "Wild Wild Angels" and "Don't Play Your Rock n Roll To Me" as well as their versions of "Have You Ever Seen the Rain" and, like you, "Take Good Care of My Baby", and songs I have never heard before I love like "The Other Side of the Road", "Changing All the Time" and "Rock and Roll Woman".

And despite it not having the Smokie sound of the harmonies, I love Chris Norman's solo version (shown here live) of "Wild, Wild Angels." He sings magnificently - it is a performance on a par with Paul McCartney on "Hey Jude":

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=s8RAIVEh2Gw&feature=related
PostPosted:Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:14 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Elevated Observation
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1