graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » Graham Nash and Buddy Holly
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Bonus Post subject: Graham Nash and Buddy Holly
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Maybe I´ve missed this topic before but have You heard the Graham Nash version of Think it over on the Crickets tribute to Buddy Holly? The album is called "The Crickets and their buddies".

Any news about what happened with the Nash boxset? Delayed, yes but for how long??
PostPosted:Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:19 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Bonus Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

A little odd, but I´m answering my self about The Nash box set.

Graham Nash has been putting the finishing touches on a 65-song career-retrospective box set, Reflection, due September 22, 2008.

We´ll have to wait.....
PostPosted:Tue Apr 29, 2008 16:02 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

It'll be interesting to see the public response to this release.

Sometimes I feel like a voice in wilderness when I praise Graham's contributions to the Hollies here, but even I say that there's little need for this. Once you exclude the Hollies material and releases that also have Stephen Stills' name attached to them, what is there?

Four or five nice solo albums and a bunch of duo releases where he pretty much carried David Crosby. None of this, I think, sold particularly well.

I'm trying to reserve judgment until I see the track listing, but I'm not seeing much of a reason to make this purchase. But then again, I already own almost everything that Graham has ever released, so I question how much material could possibly be included in this box set that isn't already in my collection.
PostPosted:Tue Apr 29, 2008 16:18 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
shootthebusstop Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

SpartyScott wrote:

Sometimes I feel like a voice in wilderness when I praise Graham's contributions to the Hollies
I think NOT!!!!!!!!

PostPosted:Wed Apr 30, 2008 13:37 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
benny-b-goode Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I definitely praise Graham Nash's work. I don't care what he said or did because I'm listening to his records at home as those of many other artists. When I like their music and it makes me feel good I won't put it away just because the person said something I don't agree to.
But it's definitely a fact that Nash wrote a lot of beautiful songs. He wrote the most beautiful songs for CSN (at least that's what I think). One of my all-time favourite songs is "Wasted On The Way". The Hollies' "Butterfly" album is one of my top 5 Hollies favourite albums. And this last album with Graham is heavily influenced by his writing.
I have none of his solo recordings but I have all Hollies albums, all CSN(Y) albums and two Crosby/Nash albums (the new one and "Wind On The Water" from 1975). And I can't agree to the fact that he is just a supporting act for David Crosby on both albums. Again Graham has written some beautiful songs. Just listen to "Milky Way Tonight" on the new album and I can see that he has not lost his writing talent. And what about "Wind On The Water" ? Crosby has written the a capella introduction but the song itself which is the title track is written by Graham Nash. Certainly one of his best ones. When I listen to those kinds of songs and I get into a dreamy mood I don't care about Nash as a person.
PostPosted:Thu May 01, 2008 10:38 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Tony Wilkinson Post subject:

Please, try and obtain Grahams solo work, 'Songs for Beginners' is donkey's years old but is a masterpiece, no problem at all with any of Grahams work but politically he seems miles apart from where I stand....
PostPosted:Thu May 01, 2008 17:37 pm
graphic
Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
benny-b-goode Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Yes, I intend to. "Songs For Beginners" is on my list of CDs still to buy. Mostly because CSN performed "Military Madness" during a concert three years ago here in Germany and I liked it. As I know it's the album opener. Great song, as well as "Chicago".
PostPosted:Fri May 02, 2008 14:58 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Agneta Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Graham Nash was one of my favorite members of the Hollies and I admire him both as a songwriter and a singer. He’s written some unforgettable songs, and “Wasted On The Way” and “Milky Way Tonight” are certainly two of them. Also songs like “Magical Child” and “Shining On My Dreams”.
And the lovely “I’ll Be There For You” from “Songs For Survivors”.
His songs often make me want to get my guitar and try to sing and play them with him.
PostPosted:Sun May 04, 2008 20:12 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Knut Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

It seems the Graham Nash box set is going to be released by Rhino. They usually make nice packages.

Would you believe the Hollies had power to stay by evolution of their style from Buddy Holly ? That's for certain because they follow what goes around, write on and go out on the road. They did it then, they do it now - please do it always.
PostPosted:Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:26 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Tony Wilkinson wrote:
Please, try and obtain Grahams solo work, 'Songs for Beginners' is donkey's years old but is a masterpiece, no problem at all with any of Grahams work but politically he seems miles apart from where I stand....

Despite The Hollies' non-controversial image, they bucked it with songs such as "Soldier's Dilemna", "You Know The Score", and "Promised Land". These are outright anti-war songs that could have come from Nash's pen, but he was of course out of the band at the time. "Songs For Beginners", his debut solo LP, is considered his best and by far his most overtly political album. If you don't like liberal views, then it's hard swallowing something like "Military Madness" (or, for that matter, the above mentioned Hollies tracks.) Ironic how that song could have been written today; it's that relevant.
PostPosted:Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:45 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Knut wrote:
It seems the Graham Nash box set is going to be released by Rhino. They usually make nice packages.

Ugh, Rhino! They put out some OK things but mostly crass product. As for a company specializing in vintage material, I'll take Repertoire instead.
PostPosted:Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:55 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Neville Philpott Post subject:

It would be nice if Mr Nash were to allow the use of some of his career
related private photographs in the package.

As a keen photographer from way back he must have plenty of images
from both his Hollies days (sic) and CSNY era.

Unless, of course he is saving them up for some definitive book yet
to be written...
PostPosted:Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:32 pm
graphic
Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Knut Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

The box set has been postponed - some write November, others are speculating about the time around Graham's birtthday next year.

Would you believe the Hollies had power to stay by evolution of their style from Buddy Holly ? That's for certain because they follow what goes around, write on and go out on the road. They did it then, they do it now - please do it always.
PostPosted:Thu Aug 21, 2008 19:44 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1