graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band » Terry Sylvester
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject: Terry Sylvester
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

My wife and I went to see Terry Sylvester this past Friday night. He performed a one hour show at a local New Jersey based music & arts center. It was a great setting to see him in since it was sort of a living room type concert. It was very intimate to say the least. I don't think there were more than 30 people in attendance and everyone sat on folding chairs.

Terry employed a backing band from New Jersey called The Cryers. Aside from Terry's vocals, three of the band members added harmony vocals.

I never took time to compile a song list but I do remember "Bus Stop", "The Air That I Breathe", and "Long Cool Woman". Terry also sang the Bread tune "Make It With You" in remembrance of his dear friend James Griffin. Another song Terry covered was "Don't Let the Sun Catch You Crying" by Gerry & the Pacemakers. I really liked the way this one sounded and Terry put a lot of emotion into it.

Terry incorporated many light hearted quips between songs. One comment I recall was him saying he remembers making music in the 60's...now he's in his 60's! Another was when he told the story of Gerry Marsden and the heart troubles he's had including a "pacemaker"....he added how ironic.

After the show my wife and I had a chance to speak one on one with Terry. As we were talking, a guy walked up to him and they gave each other a great big hug. The guy was non other than Ian Mitchell, a former member of the Bay City Rollers. I asked Ian what he thought about the tartan look the guys sported in those days. He smiled and said "I suppose it was cool looking back then".

After a quick group photo of my wife, Terry, Ian and myself it was time to say goodnight and head home. All in all it was a fun evening.
PostPosted:Sun Jul 13, 2008 17:13 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

While on the subject of Gerry Marsden, there will be a free concert here in S. California at the Santa Monica Pier on Aug. 21 starring the reunited Peter and Gordon with Gerry & The Pacemaker(s).

Just today I heard the original version of Gerry & The Pacemakers' last US hit "Girl On A Swing" by US group The Happenings. Their version is slow; kind of a 1950s-style ballad. Gerry's version is far superior. It is a very good song about taking the hate out of the world. Very appropriate for these trying times we're living in.
PostPosted:Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:29 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
marko661 Post subject: Re: Terry Sylvester
Banjo

Banjo

[quote="holliesfan"]My wife and I went to see Terry Sylvester this past Friday night. He performed a one hour show at a local New Jersey based music & arts center. It was a great setting to see him in since it was sort of a living room type concert. It was very intimate to say the least. I don't think there were more than 30 people in attendance and everyone sat on folding chairs.

Terry employed a backing band from New Jersey called The Cryers. Aside from Terry's vocals, three of the band members added harmony vocals.

I wonder how they can afford to pay him (assuming not done for free) if only 30 paying customers.

I must admit I hate seeing groups in stadium venues - when quite often the only way to see a group is on a screen - but obviously you do need about a thousand to make it pay.

Anyway lucky you, and it seems he is a nice bloke
PostPosted:Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:20 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject: Re: Terry Sylvester
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

[quote="marko661"]
holliesfan wrote:
My wife and I went to see Terry Sylvester this past Friday night. He performed a one hour show at a local New Jersey based music & arts center. It was a great setting to see him in since it was sort of a living room type concert. It was very intimate to say the least. I don't think there were more than 30 people in attendance and everyone sat on folding chairs.

I wonder how they can afford to pay him (assuming not done for free) if only 30 paying customers.

I must admit I hate seeing groups in stadium venues - when quite often the only way to see a group is on a screen - but obviously you do need about a thousand to make it pay.

Anyway lucky you, and it seems he is a nice bloke

I'm not sure what Terry got for performing but I do know the ticket prices were $25. Terry was really sweet because he made sure my wife and I got a seat PRIOR to the box office opening. This night was actually a spur of the moment gig. It seems Terry (backed by the Cryers) had just played a New York venue the night before and the Cryers manager invited him to perform for this New Jersey living room like concert. The manager is the owner of the Music & Arts Center.
PostPosted:Mon Jul 14, 2008 14:42 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

http://forum.hollies.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=593

Here's a link to my review/discussion of Terry's show that I saw about two years ago.
PostPosted:Mon Jul 14, 2008 15:03 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject: Re: Terry Sylvester
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

holliesfan wrote:

I never took time to compile a song list but I do remember "Bus Stop", "The Air That I Breathe", and "Long Cool Woman". Terry also sang the Bread tune "Make It With You" in remembrance of his dear friend James Griffin. Another song Terry covered was "Don't Let the Sun Catch You Crying" by Gerry & the Pacemakers. I really liked the way this one sounded and Terry put a lot of emotion into it.

Terry incorporated many light hearted quips between songs. One comment I recall was him saying he remembers making music in the 60's...now he's in his 60's! Another was when he told the story of Gerry Marsden and the heart troubles he's had including a "pacemaker"....he added how ironic.

After the show my wife and I had a chance to speak one on one with Terry. As we were talking, a guy walked up to him and they gave each other a great big hug. The guy was non other than Ian Mitchell, a former member of the Bay City Rollers. I asked Ian what he thought about the tartan look the guys sported in those days. He smiled and said "I suppose it was cool looking back then".

After a quick group photo of my wife, Terry, Ian and myself it was time to say goodnight and head home. All in all it was a fun evening.

You asked Ian Mitchell a question and all you could think of was to mention the tartan? Nothing about their music? They weren't the best group of the 70s by any stretch of the imagination, but they had some good songs, especially "Don't Stop the Music" (my fave) and "Rock and Roll Love Letter". Ian Mitchell was only in the band for about a year; you could have asked him why he was only in the band that long. A missed opportunity to ask him something of substance. It amazes me how people dwell on clothes/costumes; that was the thing back in the '70s and it was great. At least musicians back then cared about their appearance. They dressed as if they were doing a show, which they were! Now most musicians dress like bums on stage. How times have changed and not for the better.
PostPosted:Tue Jul 15, 2008 0:42 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject: Re: Terry Sylvester
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Dennis wrote:
Now most musicians dress like bums on stage. How times have changed and not for the better.

hmm Dennis - if we're speaking of real musicians and not some crappy pop-stars that's certainly just not true. It's always easy to say those were the good ol' days but without really knowing the newer stuff it's a bit unfair to say that. it's of course perfectly ok to say I'm only interested in older music but then don't say the new stuff sucks because you don't know enough about it. you also don't like young people to say that everything that's not new is bad. oh well - don't mean to offend you Dennis, right? Very Happy

and I also would have asked Ian something else!
PostPosted:Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:44 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject: Re: Terry Sylvester
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Dennis wrote:
holliesfan wrote:

You asked Ian Mitchell a question and all you could think of was to mention the tartan? Nothing about their music? They weren't the best group of the 70s by any stretch of the imagination, but they had some good songs, especially "Don't Stop the Music" (my fave) and "Rock and Roll Love Letter". Ian Mitchell was only in the band for about a year; you could have asked him why he was only in the band that long. A missed opportunity to ask him something of substance. It amazes me how people dwell on clothes/costumes; that was the thing back in the '70s and it was great. At least musicians back then cared about their appearance. They dressed as if they were doing a show, which they were! Now most musicians dress like bums on stage. How times have changed and not for the better.

There was one other question I asked Ian. I wanted to know what he thought of their big hit "Saturday Night" to which he replied, "I never cared for that song".
PostPosted:Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:25 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject: Re: Terry Sylvester
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

DistantLight wrote:
Dennis wrote:
Now most musicians dress like bums on stage. How times have changed and not for the better.

hmm Dennis - if we're speaking of real musicians and not some crappy pop-stars that's certainly just not true. It's always easy to say those were the good ol' days but without really knowing the newer stuff it's a bit unfair to say that. it's of course perfectly ok to say I'm only interested in older music but then don't say the new stuff sucks because you don't know enough about it. you also don't like young people to say that everything that's not new is bad. oh well - don't mean to offend you Dennis, right? Very Happy

and I also would have asked Ian something else!

I'm speaking in generalites here of course. I just don't see the style in dress that artists had back in the 60s, 70s, and even the 80s. I do hear some new music once in a while, but it seems most of it is of the "poor, pitiful me; I'm a rich rock star and I'm so miserable" variety. (Coldplay comes to mind.) It's like most everything in pop culture; it's been done before. (Morrissey).
PostPosted:Tue Jul 15, 2008 21:17 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Agneta Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Thanks for the review, holliesfan, and Scott!

It would be great to see Terry! I haven't seen him since 1970, when he was in Sweden with the Hollies.
PostPosted:Thu Jul 17, 2008 22:19 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
deliasmiff Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

Agneta wrote:
Thanks for the review, holliesfan, and Scott!

It would be great to see Terry! I haven't seen him since 1970, when he was in Sweden with the Hollies.

I saw Terry on Sunday night at the Usher Hall in Edinburgh in the first week of the Solid Silver Sixties' huge UK tour and I chatted to him afterwards and he seems to be a very nice guy and when he was on stage he was very chatty, seemed very relaxed and smiled a lot too and the audience loved him and gave him huge applause before he had sung a note!

My friend and I took it in turns to make a few clips of the show with my little camera (in my lap) as we were at the front and didn't want to disturb others. It's a pity Terry blinked in the pic I took of him after the show, but you can see how happy he was to chat to everyone. The second pic was taken as they were about to sing the finale song.

PostPosted:Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:44 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
deliasmiff Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

Here are the clips I took of Terry (with Vanity Fare) from Sunday if anyone would like to see them.
You can hear the audience around me singing along with him! Very Happy

Sorry Suzanne & Just One Look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5NMsnlT-Xw

Long Cool Woman: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wjo9m0ec3kg

Air That I Breathe: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5BmSScP_iI

He Ain't Heavy He's My Brother: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsI91xUqXIw

Final Glad All Over: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mLDXVsqAbU
PostPosted:Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:52 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Agneta Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Thanks for the clips!
It was very nice to see Terry and hear him sing all those Hollies songs. Very Happy
But I would have loved to hear him sing Indian Girl as well!
PostPosted:Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:49 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dawn D Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Thanks for the clips Sylvia. I'm going to see this show in May, what a long tour!
I must admit after seeing the clips, I'm so glad Bobby and Tony, Peter, Ray, Ian and Steve are still touring for us Very Happy
PostPosted:Wed Mar 02, 2011 18:41 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Knut Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I fully agree with you, Dawn. There is a class difference up to the Hollies of today, when you listen to Terry's versions from the Solid Silver Sixties tour. Thanks for posting the links, Deliasmiff!

Would you believe the Hollies had power to stay by evolution of their style from Buddy Holly ? That's for certain because they follow what goes around, write on and go out on the road. They did it then, they do it now - please do it always.
PostPosted:Wed Mar 02, 2011 20:11 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2