graphic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Searchin' » What's the most rare released Hollies performance?
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject: What's the most rare released Hollies performance?
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Excluding minor remixes from consideration, one strong candidate would have to be the Italian-only single "We're Alive" as originally released on Parlophone.

I've got a bad taped-to-cassette off of the 45 rpm single version of this song, and it doesn't have much at all in the way of backing vocals. So, it's pretty much all Allan on vocals.

However, when the song saw release on CD in the 1990's, they somehow uncovered the Nash-Hicks backing vocals, which were mixed into the song for CD release.

So I submit that this song, sans backing vocals, has to be one of the most rare releases, and absolutely unavailable on CD.

What other songs rank up there in rarity and availability?
PostPosted:Sat Jun 28, 2008 22:58 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject: Re: What's the most rare released Hollies performance?
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

SpartyScott wrote:
Excluding minor remixes from consideration, one strong candidate would have to be the Italian-only single "We're Alive" as originally released on Parlophone.

I've got a bad taped-to-cassette off of the 45 rpm single version of this song, and it doesn't have much at all in the way of backing vocals. So, it's pretty much all Allan on vocals.

However, when the song saw release on CD in the 1990's, they somehow uncovered the Nash-Hicks backing vocals, which were mixed into the song for CD release.

So I submit that this song, sans backing vocals, has to be one of the most rare releases, and absolutely unavailable on CD.

What other songs rank up there in rarity and availability?

There is the other Italian single "Devi Avere Fiducia In Me" b/w "Non Prego Per Me". Not being terribly fond of foreign language recordings, my interest is minimal. I did hear an alternate version of the former tune at a fellow Hollies fan's house. He wouldn't tell me where he got it nor would he give me a copy, after I had given him some rare stuff. That was the end of that relationship. Yes, even Hollies fans can be %$#@%!
PostPosted:Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:16 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
benny-b-goode Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I don't know if those are rarities but to me they are because they were very hard to find.
I mean some single B-sides from the 1980s, 1990s. Some of those like "You Gave Me Strength", "You're All Woman", "Your Eyes" or the beautiful "For What It's Worth I'm Sorry" still wait for a release on CD as far as I know. When I held the singles of those records in my hands I had the feeling of having something which is quite hard to find. That's why they are rarities for me. And, by the way, I can't understand why no single collection with all the 1980s, 1990s stuff hasn't been released yet on CD. "You Gave Me Strength" and "For What It's Worth.." are very beautiful ballads and should be put on a CD collection.
PostPosted:Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:44 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

benny-b-goode wrote:
I don't know if those are rarities but to me they are because they were very hard to find.
I mean some single B-sides from the 1980s, 1990s. Some of those like "You Gave Me Strength", "You're All Woman", "Your Eyes" or the beautiful "For What It's Worth I'm Sorry" still wait for a release on CD as far as I know. When I held the singles of those records in my hands I had the feeling of having something which is quite hard to find. That's why they are rarities for me. And, by the way, I can't understand why no single collection with all the 1980s, 1990s stuff hasn't been released yet on CD. "You Gave Me Strength" and "For What It's Worth.." are very beautiful ballads and should be put on a CD collection.

I think it's because, aside from "Stop In The Name of Love" making the US Top 30 in 1983, the band's 1980s and '90s output has been rather obscure. Many of the tracks were only released in a few countries with little to no chart action, and on various labels.
PostPosted:Sun Jun 29, 2008 13:09 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

But why did The Hollies accept that ? Some of those songs are very good and sound like fashionable 1980s material. Why did they accept that their songs were treated like that, being published by different labels and without any real promotion ?
And still it would be great to see those songs released on CD.
Just look at Cliff Richard. On September 15th an 8 CD Pack will be released with archive material, a rare live concert and two CDs full of RARE JUST B-SIDE SINGLES and rare EP tracks.
The Hollies 1980s B-side singles are rare material, as well. Why can't The Hollies do it the way Cliff does it ? A CD box with archive material, a rare live concert and rare single B-sides. That's what every Hollies fan is dreaming of. Maybe we'll have to wait for the band's 50th anniversary (because the reason for this release is Cliff's 50th anniversary in showbusiness; and I can't wait for its realease Very Happy ).
PostPosted:Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:12 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

benny-b-goode wrote:
Maybe we'll have to wait for the band's 50th anniversary (because the reason for this release is Cliff's 50th anniversary in showbusiness; and I can't wait for its realease Very Happy ).

When is the true 50th anniversary for the Holies?
PostPosted:Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:20 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

holliesfan wrote:
benny-b-goode wrote:
Maybe we'll have to wait for the band's 50th anniversary (because the reason for this release is Cliff's 50th anniversary in showbusiness; and I can't wait for its realease Very Happy ).

First release was, I think, May of 1963, although they of course had been working in pubs polishing their act before they got studio time.

So, that would mean we can expect a great release in May of 2113, only a little less than five years from now!
PostPosted:Mon Jun 30, 2008 13:10 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

SpartyScott wrote:
holliesfan wrote:
benny-b-goode wrote:

First release was, I think, May of 1963, although they of course had been working in pubs polishing their act before they got studio time.

So, that would mean we can expect a great release in May of 2113, only a little less than five years from now!

Thanks Sparty - One can only hope that they are looking ahead to 2113. If they pss up on this key date, shame on them.
PostPosted:Mon Jun 30, 2008 16:56 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

You mean 2013, I hope. I'm not sure where I'll be 105 years from now in 2113 (and, I'm sure, neither The Hollies will know wink: )
PostPosted:Mon Jun 30, 2008 22:32 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Grrrrrrrrrrr Confused

Yep, 2013.
PostPosted:Mon Jun 30, 2008 23:19 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

SpartyScott wrote:
Grrrrrrrrrrr Confused

Yep, 2013.

Life goes by fast enough as it is; let's not push it just for the sake of an anniversary date. As The Grass Roots sang, "Let's Live For Today".
PostPosted:Tue Jul 01, 2008 15:09 pm

Last edited by Dennis on Tue Jul 01, 2008 15:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

benny-b-goode wrote:
But why did The Hollies accept that ? Some of those songs are very good and sound like fashionable 1980s material. Why did they accept that their songs were treated like that, being published by different labels and without any real promotion ?
And still it would be great to see those songs released on CD.
Just look at Cliff Richard. On September 15th an 8 CD Pack will be released with archive material, a rare live concert and two CDs full of RARE JUST B-SIDE SINGLES and rare EP tracks.
The Hollies 1980s B-side singles are rare material, as well. Why can't The Hollies do it the way Cliff does it ? A CD box with archive material, a rare live concert and rare single B-sides. That's what every Hollies fan is dreaming of. Maybe we'll have to wait for the band's 50th anniversary (because the reason for this release is Cliff's 50th anniversary in showbusiness; and I can't wait for its realease Very Happy ).

To the general public, The Hollies are not viewed as an '80s and beyond act, despite the '83 reunion with Nash. Even Graham omits that event in his bio. Diehard fans may want '80s and '90s material, but average Joe Public is not aware of, let alone interested in, the stuff beyond their main hit years 1963-74. Like an earlier discussion regarding solo Allan Clarke material, interest beyond hardcore fans is, realistically, non-existent. A major record label has to feel they can sell a certain number of copies of any release to make it worth their effort.
PostPosted:Tue Jul 01, 2008 15:18 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

holliesfan wrote:
SpartyScott wrote:
holliesfan wrote:
benny-b-goode wrote:

Thanks Sparty - One can only hope that they are looking ahead to 2113. If they pss up on this key date, shame on them.

2113? I hope they don't pss up on it either. Laughing
PostPosted:Tue Jul 01, 2008 15:21 pm

Last edited by Dennis on Tue Jul 01, 2008 15:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

benny-b-goode wrote:
You mean 2013, I hope. I'm not sure where I'll be 105 years from now in 2113 (and, I'm sure, neither The Hollies will know wink: )

Yes, 105 years is a mighty LOOOOOOOOOONG time to wait for an Anniversary date. I, for one, will not be holding my breath. Embarassed
PostPosted:Tue Jul 01, 2008 15:37 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Hope2005 Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

A CD containing 80's & 90's material would be good in my view. As I haven't heard most of their material from that period except for the tracks on 'The Long Road Home' boxset.

PostPosted:Tue Jul 01, 2008 18:11 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Searchin'
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next