graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On » Tony on Lead vocals
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Yes that's right what you say about the harmonies but I (that's just my opinion) would take the Hollies harmonies and of course the solo vocals over the Byrds harmonies every time.
But I don't want to say that the Byrds are a bad band or something. I really like their music, that's why I put them in the top ten list. I have got the first 6 albums and they are all great except perhaps Sweetheart of the Rodeo , which is good but I'm not a big fan of pure country music.
Do you have other albums than the first 6 of them? If yes I would be interested in your opinion about them because I've read very different reviews about the other ones.

And we spoke about Tony's vocals... do you know on what songs he sings lead? I only know of Pegasus and he sings a verse of Carrie Anne and I think a verse of Frightened Lady. And I'm not quite sure if he sings lead on Don't Give Up Easily.
And (I know that I'm in the wrong forum with these questions but I don't care) does Terry sing lead on Look At Life ?
PostPosted:Thu Apr 15, 2004 16:22 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
GordonJ Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hi again Diatant Light. I'm sure it's actualy Tony that sings 'Look at Life'. These days he sings a beautiful version of his own song 'Too Young To be Married' but in all fairness, nice as it is, Allan was note perfect even after his voice started to go. As far as I can remember, Tony sang a verse of 'Too Much Monkey Business' and as you've already mentioned, Pegasus and a verse of Carrie-Anne. There was also a lovely song again self penned by Tony called 'Hillsborough', but contrary to popular opinion it was not actualy written about the tragic disaster at the football ground but was re-named as it was appropriate at that time. The other song you mentioned from 'Hollies Sing Hollies', I'll have to have a listen to but I think it was Allan on that one. Oh aye Exclamation Tony sings a verse of 'Open Up Your Eyes' which would have made as good an a side as Carrie-Anne would have made a b side which leaves me even more convinced that the summer 67 single should have been 'Then The Heartaches Begin' with Carrie-Anne on the b side. Now did you say something about the
Byrds Question I can't remember if I actualy have any of their albums after 'Sweetheart Of The Rodeo' apart from 'Live At The Fillamore' and the one they got back to-gether to do in 73. I really feel they were never the same band after Chris Hillman's departure and even the 73 album is not too great because by that time all the members wanted to keep their best songs to themselves.
All the best
GordonJ
PostPosted:Thu Apr 15, 2004 17:10 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Tony also sang 'both versions' of Born A Man, without a doubt in my opinion his best vocals in the Hollies. Unlike, errr...all the others he sang on Shocked Amazing what the English would have to do when they don't have an effective Swede in charge... Laughing
PostPosted:Thu Apr 15, 2004 18:18 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hi James.

He sang Born A Man??? I'll listen to that later to check that out, I always thought it was Mikael Rickfors. I've only got the version on the Out Of The Road LP, is there another one?
But as you've mentioned Out On The Road , I think he sings lead on Slow Down, Go Down or was it Nearer To You?
I'll look that up soon.
Half a year ago I've bought that one (Out On The Road) on ebay for quite a lot of money because it's very hard to get, but I had to have it.
I think it's a really good album!
You're picture is with Mikale Rickfors, isn't it?
Are you a fan of him?
PostPosted:Thu Apr 15, 2004 19:28 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hi GordonJ!

You're absolutely right about the '67 single!
Carrie Anne was always a disfavourite of mine, too childish.
Then The Heartaches Begin would have been a perfect single!!!
Have You Ever Loved Somebody would have been great, too.
PostPosted:Thu Apr 15, 2004 19:46 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hi James

You're right with Born A Man.
And Tony sings on Slow Down, Go Down and not Nearer to You.
But I really like his vocal performances on both of these songs!
Sounds very good, he should have done a solo album.
PostPosted:Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:51 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi DistantLight

It's actually Terry Sylvester who sings joint lead vocals with Mickael Rickfors on Slow Down Go Down. I'm sure there are supposed to be two different versions of Born A Man - the version which is on Out On The Road and the one which is the b-side to Curly Billy. To my ears, there's no difference... Surprised

Gordon....? Question
PostPosted:Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:07 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi again, DistantLight

Yes, I'm a fan of Mikael's work with the Hollies and also his solo career, and the photo is of Terry, Mikael and Tony. I have Rickfors' solo CD 'Judas River' from 1991 which is superb. I also have a Greatest Hits CD which is 75% in English with the rest Swedish. I'm waiting on JPC sending me his last solo album from 1997 Happy Men Don't Kill, I may be in for a long wait... Rolling Eyes

I feel that the Rickfors years are very much overlooked by the band Shocked (you only have to look at the four Rolling Eyes tracks on the 6CD set). I feel that they were pretty progressive during this period with more sophisticated arrangements in their songs - Touch and Transatlantic Westbound Jet for example. Razz

Just think, a 2CD collection taking in Romany and Out On The Road - both remastered - plus rarities such as Papa Rain, Witchy Woman complete with booklet, photographs and biography of the band in this period.

Fat bloody chance of that happening, I Had a Dream.... Confused
PostPosted:Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:17 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

On Slow Down, Go Down I think that the second part where somebody sings alone, not the first one which they sing together, is sung by Tony. It's actually his song, why should Terry sing it?

And about the Mikael-Rickfors-Years, as I call them, I think exactly the same way. The two albums they made are great!!! Really good arrangements of the songs and I really like his voice. I'm glad that he stepped in for Allan and not somebody with a similar voice as Allan. Mikael Rickfors changed their overall sound witch was a very interesting move, I think.

Of the album Romany there is a CD version out with some bonus tracks but nothing new. Something from the Rarities collection, some B-sides and some Out On The Road numbers.
But it's got a very very good sound, good remastered. My vinyl copy of it is pretty scratched.

And the 4 tracks on the Box set are really a joke... they recorded so many fantastic songs together and they only put 4 on the box, stupid.
And I would love to have some unreleased songs. In the Booklet of the box there they name all recorded songs and I want to have them all!!!
I wanna know what they are like, they should put out another rarities collection! On the internet I found Witchy Woman and it's a great song. Do you know this one or other unreleased songs from bootlegs or whatever?
Witchy Woman is an Eagles song, I think. But the version I have is certainly with Mikael on vocals.

And about the solo albums: I would love to have his last Happy Man Don't Kill or his first ones but they are out of print in Germany or they never have been "in print".
I have Kickin' A Dream Around, which is a really good one, I have Tender Turns Tuff, which is great, too, especially the title track and Son of Cathy's Clown and Blue Fun, but I have heard that only one time so I can't say something about it at the moment.
I saw Heathunters and Judas River and maybe I will get them soon.

If you'll ever receive Happy Man Don't Kill please let me know what it's like and what you think about it.
PostPosted:Fri Apr 16, 2004 15:37 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi there

Just listened again to Slow Down Go Down:

The part starting 'Love is my song...' is definitely Terry Sylvester as is the 'Just be a damn good lover..' part. In fact, I can't hear Tony on it at all on this song Wink . Other people sang Tony's songs, because he frankly, couldn't Shocked

Do you have the Rock-in-beat CD version of Out On The Road?

There's apparently a few unreleased Rickfors era items out there on the internet Surprised

I'd definitely recommend Mikael's Judas River CD Razz - it contains Sailors of the Heart, a song about his time with the Hollies:

In the beginning we were sailors of the heart

It's more than 20 years ago
I set out on my way
Once I crossed the ocean
I remember to this day
I sailed with some folks from England
I still hear that song sometimes
Somewhere there's a woman
With a black dress on the line

The winds were strong the nights were long
We were sailors of the heart
The stars would guide on the ocean wide

Believe me I remember when
First your eyes met mine
When I first heard your laughter
Even though it's been a while
I've spinned the wheels of fortune
And we gathered at the fair
And we prayed we knew what we're heading for
And that life would take us there

The winds were strong, the nights were long
We set the sails and we met them gales

We started our sailing
And sailing we always will
We started our sailing
And sailing we're still
PostPosted:Fri Apr 16, 2004 18:03 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hi James

I have got the original LP-Version (Out On The Road was only released in Germany and Spain, as far as i know) of this album!!!
In perfect quality, no scratches on the record and the cover is also in a great condition, and it's got a text sheet. That's a real rare one isn't it? I think it is worth quite a lot, but I would never sell it. I bought it for ca. 25 Euro on ebay!
From Butterfly on I've got (with the exception of Hollies Sing Hollies and Confessions Of A Mind) all the original albums on vinyl.
On CD I've got all their albums up to Romany. So I have some albums twice. But I prefer the vinyls if they are in good condition. The only ones I don't have are In The Hollies Style Hollies 1965 and Would You Believe. But I will get them!!!
And I have some Allan Clarke solo albums and this double CD which contains all of Terry's solo work and some Hollies tracks and the ones with Griffin.

I'll try to get Judas River!

I think we sould start a new topic about solo works, or is tere already one - would be interesting to know what you all think about that stuff.
PostPosted:Fri Apr 16, 2004 18:35 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
GordonJ Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hi James I've always thought the same about 'Born a Man' I've never been able to tell the differance between the two but both are on the session list. It's the same with another song that was on 'Out On The Road' and 'Hollies' I can't remember what it was at the moment but the two again certainly sound the same Confused
GordonJ
PostPosted:Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:45 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Tony has a nice voice, maybe not good enough to be lead but still pleasant. I have seen Tony sing Long Dark Road and all the verses of Carrie Anne and what about his Hillsborough. Would have loved to hear him sing Too Young to be married, lets hope he does it next year on their tour of Oz.

PostPosted:Tue Apr 20, 2004 4:32 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hi James!

Today I got Judas River.
Up to now I only listened to it one time but from my first impression it's very good. I like Ghoast In My House, Woman And A Child and Certain Girl the most after first listen. But all the others sound good too except perhaps Still The Fool and Solid Gold.
I'm glad I've bought it.
PostPosted:Fri Apr 30, 2004 17:07 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

It's a great album, isn't it? Cool

I still haven't got my copy of Happy Men Don't Kill - I ordered the bloody thing about two months ago! Mad
PostPosted:Fri Apr 30, 2004 18:44 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2