Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

James Towill wrote:
Dennis wrote:
James Towill wrote:
katdowl wrote:
I wonder if this was written during the time of Vietnam Question

Definitely, it lasted most of the sixties to the mid '70's (the war, not the song!)

Some songs seemed to last that long, such as Iron Butterfly's "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida". Wink

Allan was expressing himself in that way in Hollies songs such as "Soldiers' Dilemna", "You Know The Score", and "Promised Land". Interesting to compare those with Graham Nash's songs such as "Chicago" and "Military Madness".

Yes, The Hollies songs on the subject seemed more sophisticated than Nash's IMHO.

Yes, I would agree; The Hollies' songs are more nuanced. Nash's were more strident.
PostPosted:Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:38 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
benny-b-goode Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Three months ago I bought my Marmalade 2 CD anthology. At the very end of the second CD there are two Junior Campbell songs, one Allan also covered on "I've Got Time". That song is "Hallalujah Freedom". I didn't find that song too interesting compared to all the other Marmalade tracks but Allan's version started me liking it. His version is so full of more energy and I also think that his vocal performance on that cover version is better than the original.
The same goes for "If You Think You Know How To Love Me" and "Blinded By The Light". His versions are more emotional to me than Smokie's and Manfred Mann's Earth Band's hit versions.
Allan is not just a good writer of songs, he also knows to give cover versions a feeling that I really like. Although "I've Got Time" is full of cover versions I like that album as much as the other four on my two double-CDs by Allan. What do you think ?
PostPosted:Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:43 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I also like the album but not as much as the two following albums. It could be a bit rougher for me. I agree with you about Blinded By The Light but I think Smokie's version of If You Think You Know How To Love me is much much better. Don't like the Clarke version at all... don't like the soft-disco feel. And I think it's hard to beat Chris Norman's vocals on that song... even for Allan Clarke Very Happy

But it's interesting for me comparing my two favorite singers... this is as far as I know the only song that both have sung.
PostPosted:Tue Jun 10, 2008 15:14 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2