graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band » Bernie Calvert
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
benny-b-goode Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Thank you for the photo. Good to see Bernie's still out there.
I also think that his bass playing was a great contribution to The Hollies sound. I love his bass playing on "Bus Stop" which was one of his very first trecordings with The Hollies, right ?
"Sorry Suzanne" is another single where I like his bas playing or "Blowin' In The Wind".
I also love his bass playing on the psychedelic track "Try It" on "Butterfly". Without this groovy bass line the song would not be half as good as it is. It makes it to one of my favourite songs on "Butterfly". I also love the simple but exploding sound when he comes in with his bass on the Mikael Rickfors version of "Transatlantic Westbound Jet". When it starts my loudspeakers almost explode and I LOVE IT!!!
And I also love his (I don't know how to describe it and I hope you know what I mean) bass playing on the great "5317704" song "When I'm Yours". It's his "sliding down" sound after Allan has finished singing "Eyes" or "Smile" in every line. Hope you know what I mean. I certainly love it.
And there are many more Very Happy
Thanks, Bernie, for those great bass moments
PostPosted:Thu May 15, 2008 18:50 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hey Benny - I'm curious as to whether it actually was Bernie on bass on the Rickfors version of TWJ and on When I'm Yours...

Where's a Geoff when you need one? Laughing

PostPosted:Thu May 15, 2008 19:48 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Does anyone happen to know how Bernie can be contacted? Is there any chance someone has an e-mail address for him? I'm sure he'd love to hear from his legions of Hollies fans.
PostPosted:Thu May 15, 2008 20:40 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
benny-b-goode Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hi James,

who else could it be ? As far as I know Tony and Bernie only changed instruments (Tony playing bass and Bernie piano) occasionally live on stage but never in studio. And I think there were no guest musicians on the "Out On The Road" sessions and the "5317704" sessions (except for Gary Brooker and a different drummer on "Harlequin"). So who else than Bernie could be the bass man on those fantastic recordings ? But if you have other information, please let me know.
PostPosted:Fri May 16, 2008 19:01 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Well, there IS a photo on inside of the Romany album cover of Rickfors holding a bass guitar.
PostPosted:Fri May 16, 2008 19:19 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

benny-b-goode wrote:
Hi James,

who else could it be ? As far as I know Tony and Bernie only changed instruments (Tony playing bass and Bernie piano) occasionally live on stage but never in studio. And I think there were no guest musicians on the "Out On The Road" sessions and the "5317704" sessions (except for Gary Brooker and a different drummer on "Harlequin"). So who else than Bernie could be the bass man on those fantastic recordings ? But if you have other information, please let me know.

Hi Benny

I don't know for certain, but Mikael Rickfors played bass, and it could have been Bernie who did the beautiful piano work on When I'm Yours whilst Tony played bass (and guitar solo overdubbed later). Just think the bass on TWJ doesn't sound like Bernie's playing... Question

PostPosted:Fri May 16, 2008 20:11 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Agneta Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hi James and Benny!

I don't know who plays on Transatlantic Westbound Yet, but in the "Summer 2006" issue of Carousel, there is a very detailed review of Five Three One Double Seven O Four, by Geoff, and in the description of "When I'm Yours",he writes about "the great 'looping' bass guitar-work by Bernie Calvert", and later about "Bernie's powerful bass guitar", and I guess he knows what he's talking about.

At the beginning of the review he writes that "Gary Brooker... played keyboards on this set"... but also listed as keyboard players are Hans-Peter Arnesen, Peter Wingfield and Tony Hymas.
PostPosted:Fri May 16, 2008 22:33 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

It was Bernie Calvert on Bass guitar on both "Transatlantic Westbound Jet" (Rickfors version) and on "When I'm Yours"

I have been told this by Bobby Elliott.
PostPosted:Sat May 17, 2008 7:23 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Geoff wrote:
It was Bernie Calvert on Bass guitar on both "Transatlantic Westbound Jet" (Rickfors version) and on "When I'm Yours"

I have been told this by Bobby Elliott.

Thanks Geoff! Murray Head's original version of WIY features string bass; the bass guitar to some extent tries to mimic the unique tone of this on 5317704.

PostPosted:Sat May 17, 2008 9:32 am
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Page 3 of 3