graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Elevated Observation » how good are Abba,
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject: how good are Abba,
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

A few weeks ago I got a DVD "Abba The Definitive collection" it's all the official video clips, cleaned up put on one DVD and in total 35 wonderful songs.
Not a dud song to be seen, I remember Abba mania in Australia, the young and old all loved them.
Abba has to be up there with the best ever,
Thank you for the music,
Anthony

PostPosted:Fri Apr 25, 2008 22:23 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Susie Hewett Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Anthony Exclamation

I will have to try and get that DVD, it sounds great. I also love ABBA and I agree they are up there with the best ever. Both my Parents even liked them and didn't mind when I put a ABBA record on to play. I have a ABBA DVD which has 16 songs on it.

I saw ABBA (with my brother) at when they came to Australia in 1978 and they were absolutely amazing and brilliant. As ABBA were very vert popular and there wasn't an indoor venue big enough to hold them and the thousands on of fans so the concert was an outdoor one at the Sydney Showground. I can't believe it has been 30 years, it doesn't seem that long. Did you see get to see them Question

Best Wishes

Susie

PostPosted:Fri Apr 25, 2008 23:48 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Susie,
No I never got to see Abba live, they played an outside gig here in Melbourne also.
If you see the DVD pick it up, you won't be sorry,
all the best,
Anthony

PostPosted:Sun Apr 27, 2008 0:00 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Carrie Anne Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

My favorite song by Abba is Dancing Queen,a true classic.I have got quite a few compilations by them but that DVD sounds great Anthony.Who would have thought after winning the Eurovision Song Contest in 1974 they would have gone on to have such remarkable achievements in music.Great Band!!
PostPosted:Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:17 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
benny-b-goode Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

ABBA is great. My all-time favourite by them is "S.O.S." because of the nice melody and the changes of quiet and loud parts (although I only have one ABBA CD because I prefer male voices but their voices are great and the songs unforgettable).
PostPosted:Sun Apr 27, 2008 22:04 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

The same goes for ABBA as it does with The Hollies; many of their most interesting and enjoyable songs are on their original albums and B-sides. The hits are well-known and great but there are so many other gems waiting to be discovered for those willing to investigate. Check out YouTube. ABBA's final recordings from 1982 were superb, especially "Cassandra" (unbelievably a B-side), "Under Attack", and "You Owe Me One".
PostPosted:Fri May 02, 2008 13:00 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Bee Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

Hi Anthony,

I think ABBA are fantastic! I always try and see Voulez Vous (a tribute band), when they visit my hometown as they are brilliant. One of my fave ABBA tunes is Rock Me Smile
PostPosted:Fri May 02, 2008 18:43 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Bee wrote:
Hi Anthony,

I think ABBA are fantastic! I always try and see Voulez Vous (a tribute band), when they visit my hometown as they are brilliant. One of my fave ABBA tunes is Rock Me Smile

Yes, and from the same album, "Bang A Boomerang", which did not get released as an A-side (except for Germany. I believe) but is one of their greatest tracks. Wonderful video, too.
PostPosted:Wed May 07, 2008 15:30 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Agneta Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

”Bang A Boomerang” was also recorded in Swedish by “Svenne & Lotta” in 1975 (Svenne Hedlund, the singer of “Hep Stars”, the group where Benny Andersson first started.), and was a hit in Sweden.
My favourite ABBA songs are probably “Take A Chance On Me” and “The Winner Takes It All”.
PostPosted:Fri May 09, 2008 21:51 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Knut Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I am particularly fond of the Kristina från Duvemåla song with Helen Sjöholm on lead vocal. This is a musical about emigration to USA in the 1800s. Not all that easy a life. Originally a book, Andersson and Ulvæus wrote a musical, that is little known outside Sweden. A pity.

Try Du måste finnas and Guldet blev til sand. Even for those of you who unfortunately do not understand Swedish, the songs and the sheer vocal high qyuality is enough. Try YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KkciUPy7G0

Gulvet blev til sand is sung by Tommy Kjörberg, who also had a big Chess role in the original London cast.

Would you believe the Hollies had power to stay by evolution of their style from Buddy Holly ? That's for certain because they follow what goes around, write on and go out on the road. They did it then, they do it now - please do it always.
PostPosted:Mon May 12, 2008 4:15 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Elevated Observation
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1