graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Reflections Of A Time Long Past » Hollies Sing Dylan
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
shootthebusstop Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Ta Geoff, this type of info is both very interesting and very welcome. My personal favs on the album are Blowin'...( I prefer Allan's emphasis on certain words on the Sylvester version ,as you've explained ,Geoff Very Happy ) .............I'll Be Your Baby... ( the way Clarkie drawls eg: bring that bottle oooooover here, superb Cool ..............Wheels On Fire, scorching Razz and Just Like A Woman, a sexy ,sensitive version of the song Cool Cool. All this talk has made me want to go listen to this album again.....Thanks again, Geoff.

PostPosted:Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:36 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

they planned a series of 'Hollies Sing...' albums but quickly gave up on it
PostPosted:Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:35 pm

Last edited by Gee on Thu May 20, 2010 17:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Geoff wrote:
Your welcome Paula....

I don't think the "Hollies Sing Jazz" idea really was ever anything more than just a thought....they had cut the two songs in the Big band style in August 1968, but probably then decided to leave it at that - tho' this would explain the finger snapping "Bobby Darin" style sophisticated Jazzy "Blo-Blo-Blowin" angle of their version of the Dylan song....which still make some Hollies fans cringe !

Then it may well possibly be that on deciding not to pursue the "Sing Jazz" idea, but having done the Dylan song in such a radically different way....Tony Hicks, knowing they already did an arrangement of "Times They Are A Changin" as part of the Live concert show....then had the idea of doing a whole album of Dylan songs duly radically re-interpreted.....into imaginative arrangements and for The Hollies three part vocal harmonies..

Tony's idea met with approval from Allan Clarke (who always really enjoyed himself singing "Blowin" in concert...as later did both Carl Wayne and now Peter Howarth too)....but of course it Horrified Graham Nash (who presumably had keep quiet over his mis-givings re the Big band version of "Blowin" in August 1968...and just sang..)

Anyone interested in the "Live" version of "Blowin' in the Wind" complete with a re-start ending and the Terrific Tony Hicks guitar solo can find it on the 1982, Mainz, Germany Live version which is on Polydor's CD titled: "20 Years" (Polydor 823 750-2), where it is Track Eight.

Interestingly The Four Seasons also had done a similar Dylan tribute likewise, a few years earlier back in 1965 with their album
"Sing Big Hits By Bacharach, David, & Dylan" (Phillips PHS 600-193)
Side One was Devoted to Bcharach & David numbers....but on Side Two The Seasons also Radically re-intepreted Bob Dylan songs....

They did song such as "Queen Jane Appoximately" (with a Fuzz guitar playing the Byrds' "Mr.Tambourine Man" into...and outro !),
A snarling version of "Like A Rolling Stone" hurled at the listener by Frankie Valli
(nothing like the vocalist later so gently serenading "My Eyes Adored You "here !)...

....their own version of "Mr.Tambourine Man"...,.The Wonder Who's hit "Don't Think Twice (it's Alright)" ...originally done as a joke...!, and only two tracks in common with The Hollies Dylan album...."All I Really Wanna Do" and "Blowin"....

The Seasons' pop masterpiece version of "Blowin" sounds as if Dylan had written it specifically with them in mind....just as many of later Hollies "Sing Dylan" songs tracks do too....when in truth many of Bob Dylan's own versions in the early sixties were very skelental songs indeed......

.......often just a Acoustic Guitar, harmonica, and a voice...

...but that is the Mark of a True Great Composer...

as The Hollies in 1969, The Four Seasons in 1965 , - plus later "McGuinness Flint" members on their "Lo & Behold" album in 1972...
and still later Bryan Ferry, and so many others too... were each duly saluting on their various Tribute sets and cover versions.......

Thanks, Geoff! I must admit though, when Allan sings "Blow-blow-blowin,'" it doesn't make me cringe at all! Very Happy That's similar to the way Stevie Wonder sang it (blowing, blow-wo-wo-wo-woing, yes, it's blowing, in the wind!) Very Happy I liked the use of the trumpets and big band arrangments on this song. If it was done on every song on the album, it would have become redundant, but it's use was a unique turn and enable the Hollies to put a personal signature on "Blowin' in the Wind."

http://thehollies.proboards88.com
PostPosted:Thu Apr 24, 2008 14:06 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
snowflake Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

The use of orchestration on HSD might have been the Beatles' influence coming through during this time. The Fab Four used heavy orchestration at times in the late '60s and they certainly influenced a lot of others, including the Hollies.

PostPosted:Thu Apr 24, 2008 15:05 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Geoff wrote:

Interestingly The Four Seasons also had done a similar Dylan tribute likewise, a few years earlier back in 1965 with their album
"Sing Big Hits By Bacharach, David, & Dylan" (Phillips PHS 600-193)
Side One was Devoted to Bcharach & David numbers....but on Side Two The Seasons also Radically re-intepreted Bob Dylan songs....

They did song such as "Queen Jane Appoximately" (with a Fuzz guitar playing the Byrds' "Mr.Tambourine Man" into...and outro !),
A snarling version of "Like A Rolling Stone" hurled at the listener by Frankie Valli
(nothing like the vocalist later so gently serenading "My Eyes Adored You "here !)...

....their own version of "Mr.Tambourine Man"...,.The Wonder Who's hit "Don't Think Twice (it's Alright)" ...originally done as a joke...!, and only two tracks in common with The Hollies Dylan album...."All I Really Wanna Do" and "Blowin"....

The Seasons' pop masterpiece version of "Blowin" sounds as if Dylan had written it specifically with them in mind....just as many of later Hollies "Sing Dylan" songs tracks do too....when in truth many of Bob Dylan's own versions in the early sixties were very skelental songs indeed......

.......often just a Acoustic Guitar, harmonica, and a voice...

If I may wander off-topic for a minute, I have a question for any Four Seasons fans.

Since they were a "vocal" group only and did not play instruments, I have to wonder how input the singers actually had in the way the instruments were arranged and played on their songs. Geoff, you're complimentary about their version of "Blowin'," but I have to wonder if those kind words should be directed to their producer or music director or to the Seasons themselves.

In short, I'm asking if the Four Seasons in the studio were in charge, or not in charge.

Thanks in advance.
PostPosted:Thu Apr 24, 2008 17:07 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

The Four Seasons played their own instruments.
PostPosted:Thu Apr 24, 2008 21:28 pm

Last edited by Gee on Thu May 20, 2010 17:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
malco Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Geoff, Excellent info. However, Tim Stone played keyboards and Chuck Wilson played drums and sang as well.
PostPosted:Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:56 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Well, that's absolutely news to me, as I have always thought that the Four Seasons were indeed a vocal group, and not a self-contained band.

I seem to recall seeing an early-60's video clip of them performing in a formation not unlike, say, the Four Tops (only without the great dance moves), sans instruments, performing hits.
PostPosted:Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:59 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

The Four Seasons have sold well over 80 million records.
PostPosted:Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:38 am

Last edited by Gee on Thu May 20, 2010 17:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
dcpurcell Post subject: Hollies sing Dylan
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

I believe that if every song stayed the same except to make Blowin in the Wind accappella that this would have made it a more widely accepted and critically praised album.
PostPosted:Thu May 22, 2008 19:34 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Geoff wrote:
Why do you think The Four Seasons were a "Vocal only" group....? Shocked

They started out as "The Four Lovers" on 12 April 1956....Valli had been recording even earlier as "Frank Valley" !

Nick DeVito & brother Tommy DeVito both played guitars, Nick on Bass...plus Hank Majewski on Rhythm guitar...and Frankie Valli on Drums...!

Valli even played Drums standing up so he could sing as well....

The Four Lovers cut an album named "Joyride" (RCA LPM1317) issued in 1956

The compilation CD of The Four Lovers (BCD 15424) issued in 1989 shows a fifties photo of them...with their guitars.

They were also Backing vocalists for Recording Artists such as Bobby Darin among many others...

Nick Devito and Hank Majewski left in 1958, Nick Massi was in and out (Charlie Callelo deputising on and off)....finally Massi joined permanently and 17 year old Bob Gaudio (Ex-Royal Teens) came in on keyboards & vocals in 1959....

They became The Four Seasons in 1962 cutting first "Bermuda"...then "Sherry"

Tommy DeVito played lead guitar & sang tenor vocal
Nick Massi played Bass guitar & sang Bass vocal & was Vocal Arranger
Bob Gaudio played piano, other keyboards & sang 2nd tenor vocal
...while Frankie Valli sang many vocal parts & Lead vocals

their support Drummer was Ron Roach in the sixties

The cover pic of "Four Seasons Entertain You" album in 1964 shows Tommy DeVito & Nick Massi with their guitars onstage...Bob Gaudio at his keyboards (he often played standing up - like Mike Smith in The Dave Clark Five - so he could sing)

they appeared with their instruments doing "Sherry" on the "Ed Sullivan Show"....and just as a vocal only group doing "Big Girls Don't Cry" (which they had played on the single of)

They also played Acoustic guitars too....as on the Folk songs album "Born To Wander" (1964) cover picture ....where "Silence is Golden" came from...

...and did some songs minus instruments on TV (as also did The Beach Boys on some TV shows !)...singing "On Broadway Tonight" minus instruments to a full orchestra backing (this was the theme of a popular USA TV show)

The Four Seasons also played and sang backing vocals on many Frankie Valli solo hits too.... "Girl Your Gonna Hurt Yourself", "The Proud One", "The Girl I'll Never know ( Angels Never Fly This Low)", "Life & Breath", etc...along with using many Top USA session musicians too...

Joe Long replaced Nick Massi on Bass guitar & Bass Vocals circa 1966....

While Tommy Devito had retired from the band by the early seventies...

Bob Gaudio later took over as producer from Bob Crewe....Gaudio was asked by Frank Sinatra to Produce his album "Watertown".

In the seventies Gerry Polci played Drums & sang Lead vocals ("Dec '63", "Silver Star", "Down the Hall" etc)
Don Ciccone played Bass guitar & Sang Lead vocals ("Slip Away", "Let's Get it Right"....verse vocal on "Rhapsody")

Lee Shapiro played keyboards
Bob Gaudio was Producer & "Studio only" Keyboards & Vocals (having retired from Live work circa 1972)

Frankie Valli still sang lead vocals ("Who Loves You","Storybook Lovers" , Chorus Vocal on "Rhapsody" , Bridge vocal on "Dec '63", etc...) ....& recorded solo ("Fallen Angel", "My Eyes Adored You", "Grease" etc....still supported by his Four Seasons on many solo recordings, plus top session musicians too)

the Seasons did play on their records...but were joined by Top session players too....under the Arrangements of Charlie Callelo (an Occasional "Season" himself !), plus Bob Gaudio & sixties producer Bob Crewe....Lee Shapiro later was seventies Arranger too....

other "Four Seasons" included Clay Jordan, Dimitri Callas (both guitars & Vocals), later Jerry Corbetta (Keyboards & Vocals), Larry Lingle (Guitars & Vocals), Rex Robinson (Bass & vocals), & Tim Stone (Keyboards & Vocals).

their last studio album was "Hope and Glory" in 1995.

Each time I saw the Four Seasons in concert from sixties to eighties they played their own instruments...

Gotta say I HATE Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons. That godawful falsetto singing makes me sick Mad Talk about a group that is forever uncool.
PostPosted:Fri May 23, 2008 15:34 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
benny-b-goode Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I don't know much about The Four Seasons but don't say that they are forever uncool. Don't be so hard, Dennis. There might be fans on this forum who like The Four Season. Don't forget that, please. Just say that you don't like them and everybody knows what your opinion is.
The Bee Gees also use falsetto voices and their chart success over the decades show that they somwehow never lost their coolness. Oh, and I like The Bee Gees Very Happy .
PostPosted:Fri May 23, 2008 16:59 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

All a matter of individual taste of course....However a great deal of people must think otherwise......
PostPosted:Fri May 23, 2008 18:52 pm

Last edited by Gee on Thu May 20, 2010 17:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Dennis wrote:
Gotta say I HATE Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons. That godawful falsetto singing makes me sick Mad Talk about a group that is forever uncool.

hehe... a typical Dennis post. I had to laugh Very Happy
PostPosted:Fri May 23, 2008 19:48 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

benny-b-goode wrote:
I don't know much about The Four Seasons but don't say that they are forever uncool. Don't be so hard, Dennis. There might be fans on this forum who like The Four Season. Don't forget that, please. Just say that you don't like them and everybody knows what your opinion is.
The Bee Gees also use falsetto voices and their chart success over the decades show that they somwehow never lost their coolness. Oh, and I like The Bee Gees Very Happy .

"Sheeeerrry, Sherry baby, Sheeeery, Sherry baby". Yikes! Where are my earplugs?
I can't stand the disco Bee Gees either; more horrendous falsetto hooey. I do, however, adore their 1960s work, before Robin left. After that, it was never the same. Some decent tunes here and there, but nothing that compares to their flawless Art-pop of 1967-9.
PostPosted:Fri May 23, 2008 21:48 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Reflections Of A Time Long Past
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next